When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Humber

-

Zephyr

Finally riding a big boys bike
I did my recycling today and I found a Humber on the wrecked bike rack. It seems to be in very good condition. All parts are original except the tires and the stand I would say. The basket seems like it got put there a little later than the year of the bike. My guess is that its from the 40's but I may be wrong.
Once home I've inflated the tires and went for a little ride with it.
How much do you guys thinks it worth? No intention to sell but curious.
Here are some pictures:
Thought that the Fargo truck would look nice with the bike :)
IMG_0757-1.jpg

IMG_0763-1.jpg

IMG_0762-1.jpg

IMG_0761-1.jpg

IMG_0760-1.jpg

IMG_0759-1.jpg

IMG_0758-1.jpg

IMG_0764-1.jpg

Last edited:
That my friend is a beautiful saddle on a lovely ladies bike. What is the name on the back of the saddle? Can't quite make it out. Is that a Perry hub on the rear?

Thanks! I'm quite surprised that I was able to find it at the recycling place. It made my day.
The back of the saddle read Letheries wich is also embossed on both sides of the saddle. You got it right, the rear hub is a shinny Perry.
I'm amazed on how that bike made it through the years almost unused. Not even the pinstripes are missing.
I think I'm in love!

Sub7.jpg
Keep that bike together exactly as it is, don't let someone like me talk you out of that saddle :) For a bit of a comparison here is my early 40s British CCM.

Old Rider you can use all the words you want to TRY to convince me out of that saddle. Its going to be very vain. I love my bikes more than a lot of things in this world. ;) Thanks for the picture. Your CCM resemble a lot of my CCM Rambler and my 1968 Deelite Appolo I have.
Would you happen to know where I can get replacement rims with hub for a bike like that? They are 28" wheels. I'm asking because I happen to have a 1939 (as per serial number) CCM mens bike that need a lot love and which rims are in very sad state.

28 inch rims are as scarce as hens teeth around here, I have a few spare tires and tubes but have not seen any rims. But here in Winnipeg we have a bike shop that specializes in old Canadian/British bikes, give their website a look, if anyone in these parts has 28 inch rims it would be them. I've dealt with them, fair and honest in my opinion.
http://naturalcycle.ca/

Very nice! Thanks you. If they can direct me that will be a breeze as no one as my needed rims and my poor 1939 is wearing an old Hurricane 10 speed from 1975 27inches but I can only stop with my feet because I need a hub... Not sure if I can lace a wheel yet and they apparently can't find coaster hubs on the width I need. Nightmare!
Thanks again.

A little update. I had to undo the front wheel as there was a bump in the tire that I was unable to get rid of. Probably because of a tube pinch or something. Got the tire and tube off and surprise! There was a cotton band. Not all around tho. A little bit of black tape was put on one area. Minimal rust mark. Most of the ribbon had a little orange tinge and over where the spokes are there was rust. Otherwise its a off white color. I checked the spoke heads and they all are in mint condition. They are in a gold color (copper?). The inside of the rim is as nice as the outside.
I did not notice yesterday but the back wheel still as the original tire, well I think. The wear of it is different and the gum seems older too. Its made in England where the front one say Thailand and where you usually get a PSI it says Inflate Hard.
I'm thrilled that I was able to pull that out of the garbage.

Back