When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Phantoms!

-

Ignaz Schwinn

Finally riding a big boys bike
Well, I finally ponied up and spent the dough required to be the owner of a Holy Grail. I picked up this October 15th, 1956 Black Phantom on the very large auction site with a "Buy it Now" in the fall. I took it all apart right down to the cups and cleaned, polished, rebuilt and greased everything on it's way back together. The chrome & paint are superb and it cleaned up better than expected. It was sporting the new 1995 seat and tires when I got it. I replaced the pretty nice Torrington 10's it came with for some shiny repops. I'm on the hunt for some Deluxe AS pedals to put on instead. I also swapped the original clover sprocket for a classic, just for aesthetics. That changed it up front from a 48 tooth to a 52 tooth, requiring a longer chain. Both wheels were really out of true, so I decided to add the front drum and respoke the rear with stainless steel and they straightened right up. I finished it off with some NOS hubcaps and have since put on some red dice valve caps. The horn, lights and brake light all work. The fork lock works great too. It rides like a dream! It's snowing outside now, so I'll have to wait a while for my next ride. Here's mine..... Let's see yours!:cool:

IMG_5632.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5637.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5635.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5638.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5629.jpg
[/IMG]

Here a Crusty I rode the Long Beach Marathon 26.2 mile bicycle tour last year on -- I also added a couple more from various past ride & events that I have in the gallery section here on thecabe -- Good Times

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I really like the crusty one. Yes that is the same phantom on nostalgic.com. Boy I guess I posted the headbadge picture upside down. I figured the bike should be posted on Dave's site since he painted it.

here is mine it all original 1950 with the brake operating tail light. finally got the key lock working and cleaned up. still needs the seat recovered. i put the large spoke stainless rims on it. it's too wet to get new pics up. I had a 52 and fully restored it. I loved the way the bike rode. sold it when repops came out. mark

Not a Phantom, but....

....the Phantom's immediate predecessor.

My 1949 B-6 that I got in pieces, but everything was there and accounted for. I got it in November of 2003 from a guy in Chicago through eBay for $700.00 He said he found it in a very old garage that had been sealed up for almost 50 years. The paint is all original, and it only needed touched up. the only thing that was missing was the front drum brake setup, but I found one of these in July of 2008. The bike is now correctly complete. Here are the pictures.

Jim.

Attachments

• Left side, 1949 Schwinn B6,rebuilt July,2008.jpg
    Left side, 1949 Schwinn B6,rebuilt July,2008.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 893
  • 1949 Schwinn B6 3-4 right rear view,July,2008.jpg
    1949 Schwinn B6 3-4 right rear view,July,2008.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 925
  • Jim's reconstructed 1949 Schwinn B6 Autocycle-July,2008.jpg
    Jim's reconstructed 1949 Schwinn B6 Autocycle-July,2008.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 970
Back