When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood rim finish?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GenuineRides

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Since modern varnishes were not prevalent in the late 1800's, what would the "correct" finish to apply to raw wood rims from that era? I've considered those similar to what was used on gun stocks like linseed oil, tongue oil, and even tru-oil mixed with turpentine. Anybody with experience with wood rim finishes out there?
GenuineRides

Varnish plain and simple.Varnish is tree sap desolived in Alcohol,it'd been used for 100s of years.

True, yet varnish is a general term used to name several different types of resin mixed with solvent. Maybe shellac was used then too (wikipedia - Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. Shellac is often the only historically appropriate finish for early 20th-century hardwood floors, and wooden wall and ceiling paneling. From the time it replaced oil and wax finishes in the 19th century, shellac was the dominant wood finish in the western world until it was replaced by nitrocellulose lacquer in the 1920s and 1930s). I also doubt polyurethanes or some spars with UV inhibitors even existed...just wondering if a finish that appears more as a penetrating oil was used or a harder surface protector like shellac was common on wood rims.
GenuineRides

I'm guessing penetrating oils.

Dissolve bees wax in mineral spirits, add tung oil and you've got one of the nicest finishes for wood you can get. Tung oil like linseed oil are hardening oils so they protect and penetrate. Re-apply top coat of wax as needed. I use the stuff from here: http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oil.html I've used it on maple flooring, butcher blocks and tons of woodworking projects I've done. I like it because there are no chipping pieces of varnish or shellac to worry about and has a great genuine look to it.

Chris

Since modern varnishes were not prevalent in the late 1800's, what would the "correct" finish to apply to raw wood rims from that era? I've considered those similar to what was used on gun stocks like linseed oil, tongue oil, and even tru-oil mixed with turpentine. Anybody with experience with wood rim finishes out there?
GenuineRides

Well that's an interesting question.... I have asked the same question in regards to finishes on 1915 cars.
Here is something to think about.... their were thousands of bicycle makers in different parts of the world with different materials to hand, different budgets and ideas on how things "should" be done.
So to find one "correct" answer overall is not really an option! You can eliminate a few materials that were just not around but anything else could be on the table.

Having said that, my personal thoughts (bearing in mind I was not their!) they would want to sell their bikes so a nice bright shiny finish like shellac would be a common choice.

Then you come to the decision, do I want the exact materials in the finish (which might not be that durable) or do I go for a modern material that looks like it (and stays that way)....

Just thinking out loud...
Regards
Gavin

Being a custom wood worker and having restored ...(refubished) many antique pieces and replicating.I find the ole timey way the best.For a durable finish , I start w/ desired color of stain . sometimes more than one coat or none at all. Then I seal w/ boiled linseed oil because it makes the color really stand out. (found at local hardware stores). Let that cure.Then I use Shellac...roughly 3 coats ,sanding w/ 220 grit paper between coats . Last sanding I step down to 320 grit then topcoat w/ last coat of shellac. The reason for using shellac is it is very easy to touch up if you get a scratch ,scuff or what not.It blends in w/out a trace of touchup. then you can use paste wax to further seal your project and buff to the sheen you desire. Just my 2 cents and my preferance for an antique finish

great info

Great information, I knew there would be someone with wood working experience well beyond my level of knowledge, thanks for all the help!
GenuineRides

While shellac is an incredibly durable, and easy to repair/restore finish, it doesn't like water at all. (Really, that's shellac's main weakness) I double the original rims would be employing a finish that is easy stained by water. (but most people aren't subjecting these bikes to the same demands as the original owners would have) I would imagine something like a spar varnish would be more appropriate finish given it's durability to water, and its elasticity. It may not be as beautiful, but then again, these were being mass produced.

This thread is perfect timing for me. My project, the Nashua seen in these pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52448896@N08/sets/72157624981957264/

is getting a rehab. I am (or have) removed all of the rust from the steel parts. The frame was missing too much paint and what remained was converted to what looked some type of charcoal product. The rims are in decent shape and using fine steel wool I have removed the loose material which was a red-ish stain or tint and a clear coat of some type. Some of the tint remained. I don't want the rims to be too nice and I also don't want to prevent a future full resto by using oil or wax.

My objective is to protect the wood and "present" the materials in there current condition. If this makes sense.. Should I use just varnish? I think the oil is the look I am after but oil or wax would be the last material that could be used.. Correct?

Thnaks!

Back