When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to clean rust off the bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bluebird55

Finally riding a big boys bike
Especially on the rims and spokes... Do I need to take them apart? Spokes off.. Can anyone tell me the correct finish on the handlebars, crank, stem, seat post etc. for a prewar bike 40'... Thanks,

If you can find something like a narrow trough to set the wheel in, you can fill it with white vinegar and it will eat the rust. You'll have to turn the wheel to get another section submerged but over the course of a week it will work. If they are chrome rims, use oxylic acid (wood bleach) instead. As for finishes, I would say handlebars and hubs are chrome. Stem is probably nickel. Crank is nickel. Seat post is probably nickel as well.

I too am familiar with the dreaded rust. For the rims, you will want to take them off the bike and remove the tires. sometimes there is also a bunch of old grease that should be taken off. I found that a pressure washer works well along with some de-greaser. For the rust, I have always used 0000 or 0001 steel wool (wet) with WD40 (or similar lube). this removes the rust well from chrome and other metal surfaces (also it will help prevent rust). i have also used this technique on painted surfaces. however, if you do use the steel wool on the paint only use the 0000 wool, with the WD40, and DO NOT you much pressure. Gently slide the steel wool, and let the the wool do the work. If you use too much pressure, you may fade or even remove the paint. nice tips JLarkin, i will keep these in mind for my next restore! hope all goes well with the rust Bluebird55

What about this kind of rust/pitting? (on the seat stays) Would I be better off just sanding/repainting?

5655642875_e80003f04a_b-1.jpg

Thanks!
-Sean

I like to use whatever the situation calls for. I soak things in CLR. I have used wood bleach. Wd40 and 0000 wool. What I hqve found works best on rusted paint and lightly rustedchrome is Turtle Wax chrome polish and rust remover and 0000 wool. Since using this I have abandoned a lot of my other techniques. Its only like $2 a bottle at Wally World(wal-mart).

What about this kind of rust/pitting? (on the seat stays) Would I be better off just sanding/repainting?

Thanks!
-Sean

I have been wondering about treatment of rusted paint as well. I think that rust stains on paint could probably be removed with a wax or cutting compound. In areas where rust has eaten through paint, such as your picture, it is probably not possible to remove the rust. Anything strong enough to eat the rust will probably be too harsh on paint.

I'd be curious to see what oxalic acid does on rusted / pitted paint. It might be worth testing on a junk part if you have one.

Use the WD40 & 0000 steel wool described above on painted surfaces, just be gentle. Follow up with rubbing compound (be careful of pinstripes & decals and again be gentle), polishing compound, carnauba wax & your done. I just got through doing all the chrome on a bike in distilled white vinegar letting each part/section soak about 8 hours, then remove rust with 0000 steel wool, follow up with chrome polish & carnauba wax to deter future rust. I did degrease everything first with WD40 & 0000 steel wool. These are all cheap & work well and remember those blemishes add character which you lose with new paint. Good luck.

Back