When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gormully & Jeffery - orginal wheels & tires or not?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

robp

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I have an 1890's Gormully & Jeffery Rambler man's bike with whitewall chain tread tires. I understand Mr. Jeffery invented the clincher tire, but I don't know whether these are clinchers or if they are glue-ons. (The tires have hardened and I don't want to mess anything up by trying to remove them.) The current wheels are nickel or chrome plated and the rear does not have a brake. Are these wheels original, or would this bike have had wooden rims?

Bike is in good unrestored condition, paint and pinstriping are decent - any approximate estimates of value?

Last edited:
The rims look chrome? If so they are replacements. They are not G & J Clinchers, they had an obvious profile. If these are metal rims they are wrong for the bike.

Last edited:
Well, you can get repro single tube wood rims from Noah Stutzman and then the Harper tires. But if I were going to ride it I'd probably get 700c rims and clincher tires.

Reviving this old thread - finally getting around to looking at the G-J Rambler bike pictured above.

Turns out I have 28" tubeless clad rims and need replacement tires. I've searched and found old threads mentioning Harper and Robert Dean as potential sources. From what I can gather, Harper is out of business and I cannot find a website or vendors selling Robert Dean tires.

Although I'm not necessarily restoring the bike as a 'rider' I'd prefer not to go with the solid reproductions. Can anyone recommend a current source for the 28" tubeless tires? Will modern 28" tubeless tires work on the vintage clad rims? Any other suggestions welcome.

Back