When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure versus Bendix

-

frankabr.

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm in my early 50's and pretty much grew up around bicycles. Having two older brothers, they taught me alot about what they knew. What they told me was that "Bendix makes the best coaster brakes." Note, they didn't specifically mention other brands as being bad.

As time went by, my own experience on bikes like a Schwinn Typhoon with a Bendix, bought at the flea market, verified what they said. The coaster brake never failed.

But Recently I got a hold of a 1952 Dial A Ride with an old New Departure coaster brake. Going downhill, the brake and everything inside it went bad. (I ended up taking it apart and rebuilding it). For riding purposes, I've replaced the rear wheel with a Bendix hub and have had no problems since

I'd like to know what other people's experience has been. Have they had problems with New Departure rear hubs and:o coaster brakes? What about Sturmey Archer?

Lemme know.

Thanks, Frank

Last edited:
I've never had a ND fail on me before but I don't think you can beat it for smoothness. If you got one that's well greased and oiled up, it's such a fantastic ride.

Bendix also ultimately borrowed the New Departure brake style for their redband kickback ;)

As stated above, if the ND is rebuilt properly it will coast and stop like a dream. I have Bendix in 2 bikes and prefer the ND personally.

i like new departure but I have had some issues with slipping and can't figure it out, i rebuild them the same way and just some have something wrong, I replace any known parts that have a little wear but seem to have some that like to slip. But then I'll have most that work flawlessly including on my whizzer.

They're Both Fine....

I've had both and still have 4 Red Band 2 speeds,2 RBs and and 3 RB2s.They all have worked and still work fine. The problem with either is crud build up after 40,50 or 60 years. They have to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly then regreased and oiled.The brake disks are sometimes trashed because of the crud build up and they need replacing.That old grease makes them slip, the brakes won't work and the disks get chewed up by the abrasive crud or hard waxy greease. I also found that putting grease on the disks of a N/D or a Bendix Red Band is a bad idea. The service manuals for both specify putting oil on the brake disks. I serviced many of each and can't complain about either. My .02$.

Pat

New Departure D model R&R

I have a pre war skip tooth D hub I just disassembled. It has a remarkable dull gray finish under all the decades of dust.

Inside, there was black, hard grease AND schrapnel. The non-sprocket end disc had battered ears. I believe one of the round discs got
eaten. Good to know oil not grease goes on discs. Does anyone have an idea how many of each disc is in D hub?

More importantly, the order? I have, on the bad end, two eared discs side by side with no round one separating them...doesn't seem right.

Jerry

I want to say the number of discs is 18? I could be wrong because I don't count them. LOL!! The order I use is ears,washer, ears, washer. The key factor to rebuilding a ND D from what i've found is everything must be fully degreased. Regrease the bearings, 1-2 drops of oil on each disc, reassemble and it should lock the brakes for fun skids all day long! I just did a friend of mines 3 nights ago. It was stopping REALLY slow and when he left he was skidding down the street! Another satisfied customer!

I use your typical 10-30 car oil and it works fine for me? I'm sure someone will comment it's wrong but it works for me.

My first and only hub rebuild was recently done, a ND D. Went well. No problems. BTW I use Rubbing Alcohol to degrease, Any known drawbacks? I just acquired a rim with a Bendix 18. It was rough, obviously old grease, etc. But, I have it disassembled, regreased, and I cannot get it back together in the hub. Doesn't seem to all fit all of a sudden. Is there a trick -- or is it just me? Dru

Back