When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cyrus-Great Western Manufacturing Co. Just acquired

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chetou

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Howdy folks, this bike purchase has prompted me to post and see if anybody has any more information than the headbadge can provide. There is a layer of poorly applied paint over the original looking bluegrey enamel/white pinstriping. Rear hub is New Departure Model A, and front hub is unmarked. The crankset is marked Farber, and the Bars and Stem are the Hussey adjustable models, which seem to be rare/valuable according to other forums. I was really just hoping to get some more information and had really hoped to mostly just builds this as a rider. I have a set of Velocity wood grain rims, and have been looking for some early hubs in decent shape to lace them up with. A friend had mentioned that re-nickeling the bars/stem and cranks would be a good idea. Anybody have thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help? By the way the woman I bought it from claimed it was built in 1915....

Chad

Attachments

• Wooden wheel Bicycle 008.jpg
    Wooden wheel Bicycle 008.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Wooden wheel Bicycle 009.jpg
    Wooden wheel Bicycle 009.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 392
  • Wooden wheel Bicycle 010.jpg
    Wooden wheel Bicycle 010.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 370
  • Wooden wheel Bicycle 011.jpg
    Wooden wheel Bicycle 011.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 360
  • Wooden wheel Bicycle 012.jpg
    Wooden wheel Bicycle 012.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 385
Nice score, and Welcome to the CABE!
I wouldn't touch a thing, a beaut the way she is. I think the date is spot on! Replating just empties your wallet...lol!
Good luck, bri.

I agree with bricycle, don't change a thing. If you re-plate the parts will stand out like a sore thumb. The patina on that is awesome. Fauber(not Farber, I think)on the crank.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you guys are right. The rims are not in great condition, and I am afraid to bring up spoke tension to make them rideable. I am looking for a 36 hole rear hub, and a 32 hole front to lace into some clincher rims (velocity wood grain) to make it a reliable rider. It would be cool if the hubs had a similar patina to the other nickle on the bike. Finding a front hub with a 5/16 axle is proving very difficult! The rear hub seems to be locked up, although I have not had it apart yet. If anybody knows of the hubs i need, send me a message! Thanks for all the input!

Chad

Check out the Ghisallo rims

If you want to ride wood rims, check out bikefanatyk@blogspot for his awesome wood wheels. Pricey, but killer clinchers. I run Electra Amsterdam type 40c x 700c cream colored tires on my old Mead.

Cyrus

hey Chad, awesome find! It is very exciting to see another survivor from this factory. The date on this is close to accurate, at 1914-15-16. It can be dated by crank design, paint color, and sprocket machining........This is a great original specimen, and as a historian I wouldn't touch a thing on this bike. These rims will take a lot of riding, if there is no damage to the spokes or rust. Wheelmen members ride hundreds of miles on these every year, and plenty of racers too.

Thanks for posting pics....any questions, LMK.

Richard
Historian/Great Western Mfg. Co.

Cyrus Update

hey Chad, awesome find! It is very exciting to see another survivor from this factory. The date on this is close to accurate, at 1914-15-16. It can be dated by crank design, paint color, and sprocket machining........This is a great original specimen, and as a historian I wouldn't touch a thing on this bike. These rims will take a lot of riding, if there is no damage to the spokes or rust. Wheelmen members ride hundreds of miles on these every year, and plenty of racers too.

Thanks for posting pics....any questions, LMK.

Richard
Historian/Great Western Mfg. Co.

01 002.jpg
01 001.jpg

Sorry for the late update on this bike, I havnt been to the forum for a while and just realized a couple more people have replied to my original post. Thanks to all who had ideas,and suggestions. This is the Cyrus dressed up with Velocity P-35 wood grain rims and older hubs. She is very close to being able to be ridden. The steerer tube has a bulge where the quill stem fits and prevents the stem from tightening down all the way. The bars will rotate if ridden. I am not sure how to go about fixing this problem....
Richard, I would love to pick your brain about this company, and my bike. Do you have literature about these bikes? Or early photos? Thanks in advance for any help!

Chad

Chad

Back