When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went to auction looking for a bike but...found this instead

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hatfulofhollow

Look Ma, No Hands!
Thought I would share, pretty exciting find in the bottom of a saltines tin...

Looks like a DX frame, non-integrated headlight, sweetheart chainring. So would this be from about 39-41?

100_1519.JPG
100_1520.JPG

Im guessing it would have been from the local paper, several other printers blocks with local advertisements were with it.

That's most awesome. I'd love to latch onto an original print block. Nice find!

They were typically called a "Cut" and were used in Letter Presses or Proof Presses along with individual type slugs. It will be hard to get a clear image from that cut as a printing press evenly applies hundreds of pounds of pressure to the cut and paper. If you do try to use it you will need some type of paste ink. My suggestion is to to go to an old time print shop where they still use "Letter Presses and ask them to make a Proof for you.

They were typically called a "Cut" and were used in Letter Presses or Proof Presses along with individual type slugs. It will be hard to get a clear image from that cut as a printing press evenly applies hundreds of pounds of pressure to the cut and paper. If you do try to use it you will need some type of paste ink. My suggestion is to to go to an old time print shop where they still use "Letter Presses and ask them to make a Proof for you.

Thanks for the info! I really dont know a whole lot about them. My uncle was in the business when he was younger as a typesetter. Im going to see him next month, so I was looking forward to showing it to him. Good advice about getting a proof made.

OK, heres the best part...

So, I got a call the other day from the auctioneer. He told me he found my printers block on the back of his truck for me and that I forgot to pick it up. I said, no I've got it in my hands right now. He goes, well, looks like you've got a two for one special! Ran over to his house and picked it up. Its in a bit better shape than the one I had. Couldn't believe it! I guess the owner of the estate had two of them.

Back