When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1922 Iver Johnson Diamond Frame Special Roadster - 0riginal Condition

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Gary Meneghin

Look Ma, No Hands!
ALL;
I just purchased a 1922 Iver Johnson Diamond Frame Special Roadster in good original condition. This is a track racer (no fenders or chain guard, one speed, down turned handle bars, coaster brake - New Departure). I intend to recondition this bike not restore it. I would give it a 7.5 on a 10 point scale. Good original paint (black) , chrome, nickel, Persons saddle and wood rims. It still has the original sticker from the Oakland Cyclery (California) when it was sold in 1922. It only needs the following two items:

1) new sew up white tires - the kind that are glued to the wood rims
2) cork grips that are barrel shaped with a metal tip and collar on each end

Can anyone help with where to find the above two items??

Gary - the California restorer

With a coaster brake it;s not a "track bike"- those were fixies with no brakes at all. There is a Wheelmen who makes the cork grips with nickel ferrules. I'll check for the details when I get home. For white 28" singletubes you are SOL. Robert Dean on this site makes them in black, and sew-up cyclocross tires will work, but they have a mud tread and are gray. There are some solid white 28" tires that show up occasionally on eBay and elsewhere. I'm just glad to see a diamond frame going back on the road!

What is the width of the tires/rims ?
It's most likely a racer/which is to say a stripped down version of the roadster type bike.These were also sold by most bike companies.Some came with racing bars / rims etc and may have been raced at amerture races.

All Ivers could be ordered any number of ways, according to their catalogs. Most bikes fit either 28" or 26" wheels although the racers always came through with 28". You could opt for the coaster instead of the track hub if you weren't a racer and that's probably the case here, or maybe it was added later by the owner who wanted to ride it on the road.

ALL;

1) new sew up white tires - the kind that are glued to the wood rims
2) cork grips that are barrel shaped with a metal tip and collar on each end

Can anyone help with where to find the above two items??

Gary - the California restorer

Meory Lane Clasics for the tires. $150 a set for 28" glue on single tube tires.

I have a set of leather bull dog grips. PM me and I will send you some pictures.

Charlie Matteo in CUmberland RI has the cork reproduction grips for about $70 and they are nice

www.corkalinegetagrip.com

if you need grips you can also visit our shop at www.corkalinegetagrip.com we are the grip people

Attachments

• IMG_20150528_085638~2.jpg
    IMG_20150528_085638~2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20150528_085246~2.jpg
    IMG_20150528_085246~2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 133
  • download_20150501_224404.jpg
    download_20150501_224404.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 112
  • 1431036840924.jpg
    1431036840924.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 122
All Ivers could be ordered any number of ways, according to their catalogs. Most bikes fit either 28" or 26" wheels although the racers always came through with 28". You could opt for the coaster instead of the track hub if you weren't a racer and that's probably the case here, or maybe it was added later by the owner who wanted to ride it on the road.

Yessah! Could be a Model 90 "Road Racer'

Back