When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ridin' in Riverside

-

jwm

Wore out three sets of tires already!
The 60 freeway has always had a little touch of magic for me. The on-ramp heading west leads to the wonders of Los Angeles, and everything that the City of Angels has to offer- restaurants, entertainment, city rides, access to the 10 fwy, which means Santa Monica/Venice/ Marina Del Rey, and all the attendant craziness of the West Side. But the greater magic lies eastbound to the holy grail of freeway signs: I 15 East-Barstow, and on to I 40, gateway to the unfathomable vastness of the the whole rest of America. But Mary and I drive right past the great sky bending arches of the interchange to everywhere. We're going to Riverside.

And what a day to be doing it! This is Southern California at its finest- temps in the low 80's, a clear blue sky marbled with wispy white cloud, the mountains leaping up all around us like giant purple walls, almost no wind, and not a hint of smog.

Riverside? I've lived here almost fifty years, and I've never had occasion to go to Riverside until today. But Benny's flyer said Riverside. The old Fox theater at 3801 Mission Inn Avenue, to be exact. The B6, and the Starlet are lashed down in the bed of the pickup, and we're headed out for our favorite activity together- getting together with a bunch of Classic Bike Fans for a group ride. We turn off the freeway on Market street, and spot the old theater just a few miles down the road. We're way too early as always. When I spot the beautiful old theater, I said, "Y'know, Mary- I'll bet back in the day this was THE place to come to see all of the great Hollywood blockbusters. I can just see folks lined up here to watch "Gone With The Wind" when it was first released."
Turns out I was right. This was indeed the very first theater to show GWTW on the big screen.

We have an hour or more to hang around, so we hit Starbucks for caffeine, and then cruise back over to the Fox. Soon enough I spot a pickup full of bikes. A little while later the Riverside Crew show up on their custom Schwinns. This a great bunch of guys who drive all the way out to Long Beach for the Cyclone Coasters cruise. It's a nice change to see them all on their home turf. And a few minutes later the bikes start rolling in. HOLY COW, these folks are in to it. Not only are they riding cherry bomb pre-war bikes, they're dressed for the occasion in knickers, sweaters hats. The gals are cute as all get out in skirts, hats, flowers in their hair.

In some ways the best part of these events is the pre-ride gather. We meet, shake hands, exchange, and immediately forget one another's names, but most importantly check out the bikes. The cool machines are out today. (I'll leave it to someone else to find this thread, and post pictures. Like a dope I left my camera at home)
And soon enough we're rolling through town. Down side streets lined with Craftsman houses, and big Victorian homes- along the main drag where many of the old business still keep the ornate facades from an earlier year where style and grace trumped stark, cold efficiency.
And then LUNCH!!! The grinder shop (I forgot the name) is a Riverside tradition, and the sandwich and fries Mary and I shared were worth the drive out here by themselves.

Soon enough we're rolling again, past UC Riverside, on through the town again, and then on to the finer old neighborhoods. I had no idea Riverside was such a beautiful old city. We cruise down to the park, and stop for a group photo by the lake. Then a lap around the park, a quick stop to check out the WW I army tank, and back on up to our starting point. And here came the one drawback of an antique bike cruise: the hill from hell. Much as I love my classics, they just weren't made to do battle with gravity. A few of us got off to push. I was tempted, but Mary is toughing it out on the '56 Starlet. Even with the Sturmey 3-speed, that bike is no fun on a hill. And she made it. Not bad for a 63 year old babe. A few blocks later we make it up to Mission Inn, and a few blocks more find us back at the truck- tired, grinning, and ready to relax for the long drive home.
So next month they're doing it again in Pomona. It's on our calendar, and I'm already looking forward.
Thanks Benny. It was a great one.

JWM

Last edited:
Holy Cow...that was amazing! the ride was good, but your "essay" about the ride was an A+++! Thanks, I'm glad everyone enjoyed! I will be posting pictures here & on the Facebook site (IE Flyers) today.....stay tuned!

If you guys have any more pictures, please post them on the Cabe & on the FB site...THANKS to all the riders! We had a blast!

Hey Benny I posted a bunch of pics on my FB.Pull them off there and share them!The ride was awsome....Cant wait for the next one!

photo3JPG6-1.jpg

NICE, our warmer weather should be right around the bend..3-4 months..but until then its wool socks and carhartts. There is a 1 sunday each month where a few gather and pedal abit downtown here in Spoakne, wish there was more, for me and my bike lovin hound. Ride on. looks like fun was had by all.

Take it from JWM...& the rest of the riders...come THIS SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 26th & check out what you missd on the first ride!

IE Flyers (So. Cal) Ride #2 is coming up February 26...
So the 2nd monthly IE FLYERS ride is coming up this weekend!!!

SUNDAY, FEB 26th @ 12:30pm at the FOX THEATRE: 301 S. Garey Ave (@ 3rd st). in downtown POMONA.

...We will ride about 5.5 miles to Vince's Spaghetti in Ontario (since 1945!)
http://vincesspaghettirestaurant.com/

Although there isn't any patio seating, we have arranged with the owners use their "party room" to eat & to store our bikes (or they said we can use their storage), so we dont have to worry about them.

Click link for parking map:
http://www.foxpomona.com/artphase2/visit/foxparking.pdf

IE FLYERS 2nd ride.JPG

Back