When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WAR II Cycletrucks ???? and post war...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mruiz

I live for the CABE
Does anyone know what years did the Army have Schwinn Cycletrucks, to work on the air fields? I think I saw a picture one time with a Lady delivering parts.
Any kind of reference would help.
Mitch

myth...

A lot of bicycle critics say that Schwinn and others did not make bikes during the war... I have both Schwinn and a Roadmaster Cycletrucks with "WAR" stamped tires and "M" code Morrow hubs both have black out parts I have seen others I have that photo somewhere your talking about... I am a believer!!! :D

A lot of bicycle critics say that Schwinn and others did not make bikes during the war... I have both Schwinn and a Roadmaster Cycletrucks with "WAR" stamped tires and "M" code Morrow hubs both have black out parts I have seen others I have that photo somewhere your talking about... I am a believer!!! :D

This is more of a question than anything because I am not an expert on this subject. I remember my father talking about having "War" tires because they were the only tire available during the rationing period of WWII. They were made of a different compound than normal tires of the day and did not hold up very well according to my dad. He often told the story of going very fast down a big hill and the tires catching fire. That led me to believe that "War" tires were for civilian use, not military. I know at first it sounds backwards but would they have really put the word "WAR" on tires they were sending to war? Anyone have any knowledge on these war tires and their aplication?

This is a 1948 B.F G head badge...

cycletruck 1948.jpg
cycletruck 1948.jpg
cycletruck 1948.jpg

Frame was renforce, I need the correct front fender. Thinking OD green.
Mitch

The info that I have on military Cycletrucks is that during WW2, all of them were painted blue, can't say for sure what colors were used on the military issue Cycletrucks after WW2, but those would be post war bikes anyway. and most were for the Navy and Air force. Mine was sold to the Navy without a basket and has never had one on it.

I once had an all original Schwinn Cycle Truck war bike that came from a defense factory here in San Diego. It was factory painted red and with all black painted parts, complete with both "War Tires". It was too long ago to remember the Morrow date code. The odd difference was the lack of a pull-out front axle, removing the front wheel was hell.

One I find a front fender for mine I should go with Navy gray or Airforce Blue?

Air Force blue is not appropriate for a war bike.
Can anyone tell me why?

There was no Air Force during WWII.

"Initially part of the United States Army, the USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on 18 September 1947 under the National Security Act of 1947." - Wikipedia

Back