When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Iver Johnson? Serial Number help, model identification

-

tailhole

I live for the CABE
Hi, I just picked this bike up from a guy that said he'd had it for 20 years and he had bought it from a shop that had it on the wall 20 years before. The handlebars & seat had been replaced with the ones shown (the seat has a rubber Messinger cover on it). The serial number is 11953 and is stamped on the bb. Any clues on this one? Head badge is missing, but it has what look like 3 mounting holes, the lower one is centered, the upper holes are around the sides. The wheels are steel clad wood with the Morrow hub shell emptied. All spokes seem tight and are present, the front tire even holds air. Any info on the correct year and model would be helpful, also want to replace the badge and would like to know where to get tires/tubes for it. Thanks in advance.
-Scott[SUB][/SUB]

Attachments

• 5L75H65Jf3F53Jd3Hdc5bcb0611134872192e.jpg
    5L75H65Jf3F53Jd3Hdc5bcb0611134872192e.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 5N75G45F43E83kf3I5c5b9205c95b76e51d9a.jpg
    5N75G45F43E83kf3I5c5b9205c95b76e51d9a.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Most of the time the serial number is posted on the right side of the seat tube (just below were the seatpost inserts)

Just for fun, I'd repost this question in this thread

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...-gathering-place-for-dating-IJ-bicycles/page9

It's kind of the information thread for Iver Johnson. It's kind of disorganized, but you'll generally get an answer pretty quickly.

From the hip, my Iver Arch Truss is serial # 256466 and is considered to be 1915ish. There is a ghost list out there maintained by Bill Smith of The Wheelmen. If you send him a nice email with the serial # he'll be able to tell you more than most people. Check the wheelmen website for more information.

By the way, my bike shares the same paint scheme as yours (what little is left of it)

If you could email me some detail photos, I'd appreciate it greatly.

PM me for my email address.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats on the score!
There are many helpful threads on here regarding replacement 28" singletube tire options. There are even modern rims that take modern tires with the same profile, I believe the rims are "velocity P-35's" or something like that. Just use the search bar and you should find several threads...
As for the year, there is also someone on here starting an Iver Johnson serial # chart, hopefully they will chime in to help you...
The headbadge you'll have to get lucky and/or search ebay. Place a "wanted to buy" ad in the classified section here, you never know!
I'd be interested in the tires you have there if you are going to replace them, PM or email me if you'd like to sell them...
Good luck with the bike!

There is currently a badge with the red celluloid insert on eBay. They do appear from time to time.
Funny because a lot of the finds posted on the cabe are missing the badges.

Great bike - I love that paint color as well. I'm not an expert, but I think it's possible you may be missing a digit on the serial number. I have a circa 1907 truss frame with serial no. 124660, and since they ran sequentially, yours would be pre-1900 if that number is correct. Again, I could be wrong, but let's have another look at the number just to be sure.

Thanks for the info. The serial number is correct, haven't heard back from the Wheelmen yet (I just registered lastnight). The guy I bought it from said 1915, but I did see a Wheelmen thread with a bb 5 digit serial number starting with 3 and it was an 1897 I think, so this might be at least that old. Very excited. I put some new rims (laced to old hubs & a saddle on it lastnight so I could ride it & took a shot of it this morning. Fork might be bent, but rode great. Paint doesn't seem original, but must have been done 40+ years ago according to the seller. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for all your help.
-Scott

Attachments

• IMAG8389.jpg
    IMAG8389.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the info. The serial number is correct, haven't heard back from the Wheelmen yet (I just registered lastnight). The guy I bought it from said 1915, but I did see a Wheelmen thread with a bb 5 digit serial number starting with 3 and it was an 1897 I think, so this might be at least that old. Very excited. I removed the fenders (for a rattle-proof ride), put on some new rims (laced to old hubs & a saddle on it lastnight so I could ride it & took a shot of it tgis morning. Paint doesn't seem original, but must have been done 40+ years ago according to the seller. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for all your help.
-Scott

Cool! I have a ladies safety with serial no. 38714, believed to be from 1895-99 so you must indeed have an old one there - good for you!

I don't think that is an Iver Johnson, their truss frames didn't look like that, and the sprocket doesn't look IJ to me either

Back