When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Schwinn Excelsior X found in shed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

silverbrad

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I found this in my in-laws shed in Pa. They said it was there when they bought the house 40+ years ago. I'd love to find some more info on it, and maybe convert it into a sorta resto-mod for personal use... Thanks.
DSCN3932.JPG
DSCN3933.JPG
DSCN3934.JPG
DSCN3935.JPG
DSCN3936.JPG
DSCN3937.JPG
DSCN3938.JPG
DSCN3939.JPG

I'm sure others will chime in regarding this also....but PLEASE don't repaint it first of all. That is Primo original paint!!!!!
Second, if you keep it (you can sell for nice $), save the original parts, because this is a true survivor. I almost shorted my keey board out from drooling when I saw it. Someone on here can tell you what the date is, I don't have the info handy.
This is certainly a find to be proud of, also because it may have belonged to a relative too.
bri.

Great find. Early post-war Standard Autocycle. The fenderlight cover has been reproduced, both plastic and metal versions, the metal is much nicer. Rear rack is general aftermarket. This bike is a neat collectable, I wouldn't touch the paint one bit. Wheels you can go two ways, find the "correct" steel hoops with vintage hubs, or go with modern alloys (26" cruiser / mountain bike) and a modern hub with a 22 tooth cog. If you decide to go with an internally geared hub, there are many choices, some better than others.

Again, great find. It's worth a good chunk of change just as it sits.

Cheers, Geoff

awesome

First off, thanks so much for the quick response! Since I'm very new to this... when u say its worth a lot what are we talking about here? Ideally I'd love to convert it for personal use, only thing is I'd be considered "slightly" mechanically inclined at best. The chain is pretty unusable at this point, it seems somewhat mangled and bent. And I'd love to try to find the piece that covers the front headlight which is missing. There is a local independent bike shop in town but he didn't fill me with confidence when I told him about this find, and seemed uninterested. Thanks again...

heres the busted front headlight thingy
DSCN3943.JPG

Sorry, I realized after I posted about the headlight that my question had already been answered. Any particular advice in cleaning the paint and chrome up? Also, is the seat a big deal? It's in decent shape but I'd rather something new while keeping it classic looking...

For the love of Mike I cant find a Schwinn 'B' S/N for ya.

The 'gray beards' on here would know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are interested, I have a set of (straight/true) drop center chrome wheels similar to what it would have come with with Schwinn script front hub too, but with a bit newer Bendix redband coaster rear hub. Also have one repro Goodyear whitewall tire...Set of wheels and 1 tire...$ 85.00 ($100 shipped) bri. Pm with e-mail for pics....

Ok, sorry to keep posting but this is pretty exciting to me! I spoke to a friend of a friend who is into older bikes, and he's telling me from the pics I sent him that I have a mid-late 40's b-6 that's missing some pieces...does that jive? I googled "1947 schwinn b6" and what came up looks pretty close. a 1947 schwinn b-6 ballooner cruiser tank bike????? Thats a mouthful huh??? I think it looks pretty bad ass but wonder if it'd be a fortune to find the tank piece and the front springy looking thing...

Probably 1946 with the B serial number

Don' t repaint it!
You don' t need the springy thing for the front end.
You have the truss rod front end.
You can have the seat restored. It will be better than a new replacement.
Soak the chain in oil it is still good.
It would have come with Lobdell dropcenter rims. Probably chrome.
Put on new tubes and tires. Don't buy old tires.
Check fee bay for parts.
Keep it and ride it.

E

Back