When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1928 BSA Special Road Racer

-

jmazpiazu

On Training Wheels
Hi,

I am restoring a BSA bicycle, which will be my first vintage project. It appears to be a Special Road Racer from 1928. I’ve recently had the frame painted and the parts nickel plated, and also got a lovely Brooks B17 saddle.

Here´s picture of the bicycle when I got it:

35akec5-1.jpg

And here are some photos of the parts:

281wriv-1.jpg

4kgy9u-1.jpg

2dgp387-1.jpg

2afctnp-1.jpg

dxlesy-1.jpg

Once I got all the parts to get the bike together, I´m having quite a trouble to find some period correct tyres, as shown in this beautiful example (not the same model, btw:(

jgr5i1-1.jpg

vqs9rb-1.jpg

And here’s an actual photo of the frame, waiting for the wheels to come... When it’ll be finished it will be a wall hanger in a local tailor shop

am8jet-1.jpg

Regarding the wheels, as far as I know, BSA used tubular tires mounted on wooden rims at that time but I have not been able to find any of them for sale. By measuring the wooden rims of this bike, I happen to think that tires of 28 inches rim and 1 ¼ height, will suit them well. In fact, as seen on the following advertisement, several models of BSA at the time had them as original equipment:

kehv5w-1.jpg

I would like to find some period correct tires but we I’m aware about the difficulty of this task.

Are these tires so hard to come by?

Should I focus in getting some replica tires instead?

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

JM

Back