When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890´s US bike in Sweden: Could this be a Stormer Reading PA?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

andybee75

Finally riding a big boys bike
Could this be a Stormer Reading PA? No one with a Stormer who can help? :(

Hi Guys! Im a bicycle collector living in Sweden. A couple a years ago i bougt some old bikes and some bicycle wrecks from an old man. This bike was included.

When i got it i noticed that remains of the rear mudguard was attached to the frame. There was no wheels on the bike. When i sorted the old stuff out i found a color matching front wheel and the front mudguard, which fitted nicely to the front fork. There is also some black color on the front mudguard which indicates that this mudguard was mounted when the frame got overpainted. It´s seems that the original color is olive green under the black overpaint. It is fairly easy to remove the black with heavy solvent.

Is it not a rare color combination, usually the mudguard and the rim color matches the color of the frame?
There´s no frame number, at least i have not found it yet.

Now, the head badge was missing, of course. I once saw a Stormer bike that had the similar crank and chainwheel. When i googled "stormer" i found a dutch homepage with a Stormer that is very similar to mine. See this link:

http://www.yesterdays.nl/stormer-1898-bicycle-p-408.html

Notice the similarity between the crank/chainwheel, the odd rear mudguard holder with a broad, flat profile, the seat post holding nut, and the rear fork design.

The other day a bought a Stormer head badge from swedish Ebay, and what do you know, it fitted perfectly to the frame! (but the head badge was flattened, that´s why it looks like it don´t fit the frame snuggly)

So, is this evidence enough that the bike is a Stormer? Can somebody help me with more pics of Stormers? Or can you say that it´s NOT a Stormer? Do anyone know more about this Company?

Thanks for you help!

tn_DSCF3951.JPG
tn_DSCF3952.JPG
tn_DSCF3953.JPG
tn_DSCF3955.JPG
tn_DSCF3956.jpg
tn_DSCF3957.jpg
tn_DSCF3959.JPG
tn_DSCF3961.JPG

Last edited:
here ya go ------ Acme mfg co. Reading PA. made between 1894-98.

Thanks to all who tried to helo me. I alredy knew the years it was made, but i have still not confirmed that it is a Stormer bike. However, a man i sweden who has a Stormer says that the saddle post holding nut and crank/chainwheel is similar to mine, so i'm almost sure that it' s a Stormer.

no tag? your just second guessing. there are alot of bikes made then and lots of them look close too each other for a correct id.

no tag? your just second guessing. there are alot of bikes made then and lots of them look close too each other for a correct id.

Well, my "evidence" is the fact that the head badge fits the hole in the frame, the odd design with a brazed frame instead of a screw and nut holding the frame together near the saddle post. I am aware if the generic design of the crank, but it' s exactly the same as the dutch one in the link.

All coincidence? maybe, maybe not...

Back