When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn BF Goodrich questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
B

Brentville

I picked up what seems to be a very nice Schwinn/BF Goodrich girls tank bike. I'd like some help identifying it further and seeing what everyone's thoughts are. Just to appease anyone and everyone, I might sell this bike.

It's a skiptooth with the sweetheart sprocket a bendix rear hub and brake and script schwinn front hub. It looks to be a pre 1948 Schwinn built for BF Goodrich as it has both Schwinn parts and the Schwinn decal but the BF Goodrich headbadge. I thought I saw that Schwinn built bikes for BF Goodrich in the 50's too? And what about that design on the chainguard? It almost looks like they built a Philadelphia Flyers bike!?!

Any ideas on the model or how common this bike is? I'm guessing the book rack on the back isn't original, and I know the seat isn't. Was there another rack these bikes came with originally?

Thanks for the help.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/brentville/bike.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/brentville/chainring.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/brentville/headbadge.jpg

Helping those who help themselves

Okay, so I looked through the huge archive at nostalgic.net and looks like what I have is a 1930's Schwinn Ladies DX. Built for BF Goodrich by Schwinn.

Is there anyway to be more specific on the year?

Thanks in advance.

It looks like a 1948 DX Model " Debutante" The serial number starting with the letter D thru E will be "48" and F thru G for "49" Just figure on a couple of letters of the alphabet for dates earlier or later than these and you can pretty much pin point the year of manufacture. Enjoy your bike, it looks like a nice one.

Mine is a C

the bottom bracket has C13852 which as best as I can figure is a pre 1948 number. Possibly not much before 1948 though. All the post 1948 #'s don't get to the C's till much much later.

The site I looked at had the same bike as a "30's" bike but it's hard to really know especially before 1948.

Thanks for the help.

It's definately a post war bike. The telltale signs are the fixed kick stand and the fixed mounts for the fender braces, chainguard e.t.c. The letter C prefixing the serial number indicates that it's probably a late 1946 or an early 1947.

That's as close

to the date as I figure I can get. Thanks for the information.

And let us not forget that Schwinn started using forward-facing rear dropouts in 1946, so if ya got those, it's postwar! It would have what's commonly known as a 'nine hole rack' on the rear, for obvious reasons! ~Adam

wifes bike

my wifes serial # says its a fifty two but it still has drop center rims on it fender doc told me they still used dropcenters on some of the lower end stuff that late and Ive seen em on non Schwinn bikes as late as the sixties

Back