When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dent repair in a tank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ohdeebee

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Looking for advice on how to tackle the dented top and bottom of this tank. The metal is not creased or crimped or really damaged in any way, its just not the right shape. Normally tapping out a few dents isn't a big deal, but the fact that this tank doesn't come apart is an issue. Is there a tool or technique that one could use to work these dents out WITHOUT damaging the paint? Should I contact a body shop? Are any of you guys able to help a guy out? I'd be up for doing a labor trade if you need some wheels built. Thanks in advance Cabers!

here are the pics:
030713120201_zpsaf044be8-1.jpg

Bottom (I'm less concerned with this area)
030713120211_zps6914a4f4-1.jpg

I don't think this tank comes apart all that easily. I'll gently give the C-clamp idea a shot and see what happens. If I come up with something that works I'll post pics and the how-to on this thread.

How about a c-clamp and a block of wood or two. Use the c-clamp to compress the dent out.

This would be my bet- a sturdy C-clamp through the door of the tank with a properly fitted piece of wood on each side. The wood should have a flat surface. The pressure should press out the dent to a flat, matching the block on each side. At least that's my guess.

This would be my bet- a sturdy C-clamp through the door of the tank with a properly fitted piece of wood on each side. The wood should have a flat surface. The pressure should press out the dent to a flat, matching the block on each side. At least that's my guess.

Because the bottom part of the top tube is curved, I suggest making a wooden buck to form it; outline the shape of the frame on to paper, trace the outline on to a piece of hardwood and cut it out. Then proceed with the above instructions.

Because the bottom part of the top tube is curved, I suggest making a wooden buck to form it; outline the shape of the frame on to paper, trace the outline on to a piece of hardwood and cut it out. Then proceed with the above instructions.

If it's a curved tank- yeah that's right. I was assuming this was a flat bottom tank for a straight bar. If it's curved you need something the same shape as the bend you want to form it.

i cant tell from the pics cause my eyes arnt that sharp anymore,did you ever think about havin one of those guys that go to body shops and car lots and do paintless dent repair,some of the stuff they can do is amazing!!

i cant tell from the pics cause my eyes arnt that sharp anymore,did you ever think about havin one of those guys that go to body shops and car lots and do paintless dent repair,some of the stuff they can do is amazing!!find a body shop tha does hail repair

Back