When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CopperTone 1954 Schwinn Tiger 3 speed Midweight.

-

cyclebuster

Finally riding a big boys bike
aluminum SA 3 speed dated 54, frame dated 11-53. Troxel saddle, wienemann brakes, painted fenders, Coppertone and white trim. looks like a 54 Jaguar with painted fenders.
Sound correct?

Post some pictures. Coppertone started in '63. Schwinn serial numbers got pretty screwed up for a couple years in the mid-50s, so you'll find a lot of repeats.

With painted fenders, it could be a Fleet, Typhoon, or Hornet from maybe 1963 or '64 since Schwinn went to a different serial system altogether in '65. Good luck!

says tiger on the chain guard. son has removed some spray paint, appears to be Coppertone colored??
Wiennman brakes aluminum hub, mid weight built with a heavyweight frame as usual.
I might make a panther out of it. c6xxxx number, 11/1/53 era.
was there a bronze ish color in 54?
I don't think Schwinn had all their eggs in a basket in the 50s apparently. I just left Schwinn's catalog site this also could be a Frankenbike, but its all the same color underneath.
early midweights had balloon frames. this one does
aluminum shell SA dated 54.
serial number on charts for late 53, also 52 and 57, but 57 midweights had narrow frame.
no such color shown.

Last edited:
Interesting! I'd like to see a picture if you can get one posted. I don't believe the Tiger was released until '55 with the advent of the true middleweight bicycle. The only 3-speed I know of before '55 was the '53-54 Jaguar which was on a cantilever balloon frame. Is it a cantilever or straight bar? You mention you could make a Panther from it, which would be a straight bar frame. If you pull the fork or the crankshaft, you can likely verify the original color as people don't usually make it that far on spraybomb jobs. I don't know of any color at the time that would be close to a coppertone. Possibly a faded radiant red? It turns into a kind of red-amber.

I wouldn't put anything past Schwinn. They would have produced for you the bike you wanted.

well this is the 4th heavyweight early 50s hand brake balloon frame I have. Odd for a bike they never made.
57 would not have those brakes. or alloy hub dated 54. It looks just like a 56 Tiger. It says tiger on it.

tiger

yes,no uv protection back then,left in the sun candy red schwinns turn goldish,might just be the cangy under coat after red is burned off

yes,no uv protection back then,left in the sun candy red schwinns turn goldish,might just be the cangy under coat after red is burned off

X2...............An old Jag ballooner frame with only the gold base coat left. No such color as Coppertone in the years you posted.

coppertone

its been speculated that coppertone was the same as 50s chev sierra gold,60s home appliances also came in coppertone,some painters have found alot of schwinn colors in automotive paint chip crossers

Tiger

As stated I don't Tiger' come out till 55, here's a pic of my 56, is it simular to this?
tiger II 001.jpg

Back