When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Royal Roadster, wrapped in leather

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Machine Age Victim

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just picked this up off Craigslist. I've done some research and I know that the SA 3-speed hub dates to 1980, it's the English model (full chain guard) and it has a Brooks B-72. Anyway, I can't find out if leather wrapping was an option on these bikes, it does look factory installed (it's even on the factory made frame pump and grips), it could be a dealer add on. I haven't found another.

Raleigh1-1.jpg

Raleigh2-1.jpg

Raleigh3-1.jpg

Raleigh4-1.jpg

Raleigh5-1.jpg

Raleigh6-1.jpg

Raleigh7-1.jpg

Raleigh8-1.jpg

Raleigh9-1.jpg

Raleigh10-1.jpg

I've seen a ton of different Raleighs, but I've never seen that before. I've seen a couple Royals but none had leather. My guess is a pretty well-executed homebrew, but that's just an educated guess in the end. Maybe it was someone trying to play up the "Rolls Royce of bicycles" thing with it.

I remember seeing one of those for sale awhile back for crazy money. In the end it's a raleigh with leather tube covering. Cool find though! The new Hermes edition bikes are around $11K!!

http://usa.hermes.com/surprise/bicycle/m-flaneur-60951.html

Crazy crazy crazy considering you could have a really nice custom framed bike (or two) for the same money!!

*I thought I should add that I didn't see the earlier Raleigh actually sell!

Last edited:
Back