When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Elgin Rear Hub problem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mike Purkis

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hey All,

I was hoping someone can steer a complete novice in the right direction. Recently purchased a 1938 Elgin. First thing I did was disassemble the front and rear hub, bottom bracket to clean and lube. Before I started, the brake didn't work well and it was a little rough in the rear when coasting. The rear hub components looked to be in good shape but very dirty and gummed up. I cleaned everything real well, replaced the bottom bracket bearings whhc were very worn, cleaned the brake to make sure it was clear of grease, dirt and oil, lubricated and reassembled. Oiled the brake discs but made sure I didn't get any lub on them. No improvement of the rear hub problem. Front hub and crank are great. It's a New Departure Model D hub. After riding, I flipped the bike over and cranked the pedal and everything seems smooth. When I stop pedaling, it sounds rough and the chain pops as if the hub is catching. When I crank the pedal and let go of pedal to allow it to move freely, it's mostly smooth but intermitten rough. When I crank and allow too coast but hold the pedal, the whole bike shakes/rattles and the rear hub sounds rough. The teeth aren't work down or brokem so it's not the chain slipping. Also, there's lag between when I attempt to apply the brakes and when the brake engages and the brake isn't strong. Gradual slow down. What's my troubleshooting process for determining what the issue is and repairing?

Thanks alot for your feedback!!

Mike

It could be the hub shells inner braking surface is shot and you need a new hub shell.

I have a diagram of a axle if you need to see it.

Nick.

Hey All,

I was hoping someone can steer a complete novice in the right direction. Recently purchased a 1938 Elgin. First thing I did was disassemble the front and rear hub, bottom bracket to clean and lube. Before I started, the brake didn't work well and it was a little rough in the rear when coasting. The rear hub components looked to be in good shape but very dirty and gummed up. I cleaned everything real well, replaced the bottom bracket bearings whhc were very worn, cleaned the brake to make sure it was clear of grease, dirt and oil, lubricated and reassembled. Oiled the brake discs but made sure I didn't get any lub on them. No improvement of the rear hub problem. Front hub and crank are great. It's a New Departure Model D hub. After riding, I flipped the bike over and cranked the pedal and everything seems smooth. When I stop pedaling, it sounds rough and the chain pops as if the hub is catching. When I crank the pedal and let go of pedal to allow it to move freely, it's mostly smooth but intermitten rough. When I crank and allow too coast but hold the pedal, the whole bike shakes/rattles and the rear hub sounds rough. The teeth aren't work down or brokem so it's not the chain slipping. Also, there's lag between when I attempt to apply the brakes and when the brake engages and the brake isn't strong. Gradual slow down. What's my troubleshooting process for determining what the issue is and repairing?

Thanks alot for your feedback!!

Mike

Sounds like the cones are too tight... Try backing the driver side off a bit. When you think you have it set right some people forget that when you tighten down the drop outs it actually put more pressure on the cones and won't spin freely... Also check the internal bearings that are behind the cog.. Maybe bunch of crap fell into them.

Back