When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will you pick up and ship/deliver a bike? PUT YOUR STATE ZIP plz!

-

bike

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
Perhaps a STICKY here or another category.

I AM IN CENTRAL NY 13809 (google maps)

Informal networks have worked well for me for either shipping or picking up and delivering to a meet. Posting your willingness here will improve the quality of the thread.

I would think it should be understood that the person doing you a favor would be expected to use reasonable care and follow any packing instructions, but risk of loss has to stay with the person getting the bike- otherwise the person doing the pick up takes on too much risk for doing a favor.

Even if a seller ships, sometimes it would be better to have an experienced bicycle shipper do the job- I know I give instructions to sellers - they get offended- do it their way- (leave the rear fender on) crunch of the fender from the when shipper throws the box on end....

Some people are happy to do it as a favor, others will charge- hey time is money. That is to be worked out tween the parties.

I AM IN CENTRAL NY 13809 (google maps)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've picked up and shipped lots of bikes for people from sellers would not ship. I've also picked up bikes held on to them till they could be delivered to Memory Lane, Ann Arbor, Copake, or Trexlertown. Just so the bikes did not need to be taken apart. I've also be lucky enough to have lots of other people do the same for me. It's good to know people. And I've also picked up plenty of bikes at the spring Copake auction and trucked them out to Ohio and Mich for the winning bidders. I do that every year.

Catfish

i've picked up and shipped many bikes for people.i usually only charge for gas and materials.never for my time.i've become quite well known for my attention to detail and care in packing them up.it depends on the bike,but most the time i'll leave the rear wheel and fender on the bike.the key is plenty of room and NO parts moving around in the box.if you're using bike boxes from a bike shop,always reinforce the ends and corners.have to remember they already went through one trip and are not designed for multiple uses.plus some of the bikes we play with weigh twice what the boxes were actually designed for.another key is lots of pipe foam and zipties.i also remove any axles that might poke through the sides and bag them up and put in a small box in the bottom.
i can recall getting a couple bikes delivered and the disappointment of opening the box only to see a bunch of junk parts.insurance is great,but a perfectly packed bike is better.

Re: Will you pick up and ship/deliver a bike?

I've used our "members map" many times to locate someone to help me get a bike.
Without the help of forum friends I'd be lost. Too many sellers are clueless to shipping. Many finds are local pickup only.
I want to thank everyone that has made my acquisitions possible.
I too am willing to reciprocate the help to pickup/pack/ship a bike.
I too only charge the minimal but my time or labor is free to those forum members. I take extreme care to get the bike boxes to the correct size to avoid extra freight costs.
And try to keep all loose parts to a minimum.
always willing to help.
I'm located in Va. Beach Va. 23518

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I've packed bikes for others because I've been in the same situation where I want a bike but its out of reach. I charge for my service because packing a bike is PITA and I would never expect someone to do it for me for free. I think its fine if it stays in the General discussion section, these threads don't come up often and it needs to be seen otherwise it will be a rarely checked on category and people will be just shouting into an echo chamber.

shipping

Walter branche 34761, central florida , bikes are wrapped in shipping blankets , placed in van , if special instruction is wanted or required , I graduated 6th grade so Whatever is needed or wanted is possible, donations are nice , .sometimes if the bike is rare or special, they will be treated with the highest respect.I have been doing it 40 years, never have had a failure or complication. WALTER BRANCHE -OWNER , OPERATOR ,, VELOCIPEDE VENTURES

This is an interesting idea. I've both shipped and received before. I've used the member map to great success when selecting a member to PM about something.

I'm also happy to pick up and deliver to any MLC show since I'm close enough to attend every one.

Near Ann Arbor, Michigan 48170

in: Los Angeles California 91016, get to San Diego often, up to San Francisco sometimes
shipped many bikes and large items

Last edited:
Back