When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

old dirty nuts...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
S

sbusiello

All

I just started doing restos, learned a lot already and have been asking everyone a million and 1 questions :) thank you for being patient.

I was wondering if everyone used the old nuts/bolts or replaced with new after reassembling the bike? I have seen a lot of posts where people will cut them off, so this is making me think this isnt a big sticking point.

I intend to reuse where i can and a 20hour dip in vinegar seems to do the trick even on the toughest rust jobs.

Thanks!

Unless the nuts and bolts are stripped or rusted so bad that they don't work, I always reuse original hardware. If you're going for a complete 100% restoration, then you might want brand new hardware that doesn't have wrench marks. I like to keep my bikes as original as possible so I rarely replace hardware unless it's missing entirely. I usually just soak parts in simple green for a couple days and that cleans off any grease, paint or rust that may be present.

Recycle for sure. Vinegar will actually remove a small amount of metal if you leave it in too long causing you to have loose nuts.

You might try evaporust for zero metal dissolving. It just removes rust and leaves clean metal behind. It costs much more than Vinegar, but you can just put it in a jar and dip stuff in it, derust, and reuse the liquid over and over until it becomes less effective.

reuse...patina is peerless
20130802_019JPG-1.jpg

I am surprised Dave didnt wreck this thread.Dave,you are losing your annoying trait.

Thanks

Thanks all. I agree with the reuse whenever possible.

Thanks i didnt know vinegar would actually kill the metal if left to long. [ and i put this on my salad! ] i have been doing it just over night and then i give it a scrub with a wire brush and most everythign comes off.

I made a lot of "dirty nut" jokes to my wife these last few days. Now i am just getting stares if i even try to say "nut". ;)

Back