When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson project, show me your Colson Project!!!

-

fatbike

Enjoying my 37 Colson Commander
Seriously this has been a project for about 5yrs now. Ive collected deluxe parts for it the best I could. I have grill that is in the hands of professional who has been slowly welding the breaks and cracks. A very delicate procedure... one bad mistake or the wrong environment... "poof" no more grill and there is not enough of them to go around or to even find. So anyways I ve posted this bike a few times and it has over time transformed with different parts and always trying to decide what route to take... I will probably never restore this bike and most likely keep this rough. So finding the right patina to fit the bike is a slow process. I have toyed with aluminum fenders which I have but they are not quite right meaning not 39 there from an earlier Colson. So today I just put steel fenders and finally mounted the NOS rear Delta Guard rear light... Now this light even though it was in a box all of its life has its fair share of issues, for some reason the plastic has somewhat melted and warped and the box just smells like glues from another era. Not much I can do about nor anyone else who happens to have one a these NOS in the box lights is in the same situation, there all like this from what I understand, so why not use it on a unrestored bike. Plus I really didn't want to ruin a really really nice set of alum fenders if aim not sure they going to stay on this bike by drilling holes for the light. This will give you an idea what this model could or should look like. 1939 Colson Imperial deluxe, there are so little or few of these models out there. Feel really lucky to have this one and all the rare Colsons i have had and still have. Which are all in project land it seems forever... I have a ways to go with this one. Eventually I will find a nice worn patinad wheels set with a front ND break and peel this restore with front NOS brake off for another project. The last photo is with the alum fenders and original guard. I would love to find a pair of somewhat beat up 1939 deluxe Alum for a Colson mud guards with the correct braces and front headlight stamp. Someday unless you have a set;) Thanks for looking and reading.

downsized_0810131640.jpg

downsized_0810131639a.jpg

downsized_0810131639.jpg

downsized_0424121550.jpg

Last edited:
1937 Colson Imperial another project

Man I really not sure when this will be done. It's been at the painters for a year but patience is a virtue and it will be great, I have more than enough confidence in the restorer. Bike hobby, everything takes patience or years right? This bike is one of my favorite Colson deluxe models. Luckly acquired this real deal Imperial with of course some missing parts and since I ve had I have been fortunate to accumulate whats needed. Still looking for an excellent Twinkie rear light but the from Delta torpedo light was a great acquire in itself besides breaking the bank, just glad it was available.

downsized_0723121704.jpg

downsized_0723121705.jpg

You know I love your bikes Derek, and I'm grateful just to have the opportunity to see them in real life. I'll do what I can to represent the lower end of the Colson line, HA HA!

ha!!!!!!!! what me? i gots nothing. must be the wrong mark..... :) heck i need those aluminum fenders......

Back