When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I Found This Motorbike Toolkit...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Talewinds

I live for the CABE
I scored a barn-fresh Elgin Motorbike on Sunday. The exterior of the bike looks like hell, of course, but inside the toolbox tank still has nice bright red cadmium paint. Before I even purchased the bike I opened the toolbox door and inside the tank was completely full of some rolled up what-used-to-be-white fabric. I poked around at it with the hunch the the toolkit might still be wrapped tightly inside. Later that night at home I pried the fabric from within the tank, it turned out to be some type of undershirt with real mother of pearl handmade buttons, this I'm guessing has been in there since the 30's. Inside the fabric is this tool kit, although time and the incredibly hot midwest summers has fused the coated fabric of the toolkit together.

SO, should I peel it all apart? Or should I just sell it as-is? You can see the chrome tools poking through in a few spots. The kit is FULL of tools so I'm gonna be the optimist and guess that all of the tools are there and in good shape.

abba418718a846d09919aefcfe3877cf_zps0bfc-1.jpg

Wow, what a find! That's a tough debate too.. you almost have to see what's inside. Though, 'mystery time capsule' will sure look good on ebay.

Some of the old long sleve t-shirts had buttons on them...Kool!
Tool pouch is ultimately your decision, but I would use a razor blade and open at back or bottom so I could re-wrap easily.

Awesome find.

If you want to open it, maybe heat it up with a heat gun to see if you can get it to be more pliable???

Ok, here's another interesting development. I was tinkering with it this afternoon and the undershirt has a tag! Dizzy and Paul Dean?!?!? Members of The Gas House Gang?!?! Arguably the most popular characters in the early days of baseball, and team members of the hallowed St. Louis Cardinals. An interwebs search reveals no reference to the clothing line.

58a3c02e87d84a9789affb54cfb9747a_zps834c-1.jpg

Another thing I noticed, bike has a tank but no truss fork....?

3f0617e33b4a4ce290396a6bcedb5861_zps070c-1.jpg

Tanks were available as an option to purchase for Sears Elgins. May not be original unless paint is correct. Nice find! (shirt too!)

This just gets better and better with each post!

Kinda silly but this is why I'm into this hobby, for the $50 grand slam bikes and the archeology.

Bri, there's little paint to compare to, the tank definitely could be an add-on, but I'm certain it's been hanging on that frame since almost day one.
I'm mucking with bikes in this condition less and less these days. I prefer them (as does the rest of the collecting world, be it bikes, motorcycles, or cars), in their as-found condition. Not like I'd buy a new replacement set of singletubes anyway, too rich for my blood!

Back