When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890's bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dan the bike man

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Suspended
I have wanted a bike from the 1800's for a while now. I think an 1890's bike would be best. And I want a mens bike. Since I live in MI I plan to wait until the April Ann Arbor show to look for a bike so I can see it in person. What i'd like is if collectors could please post some of their 1890's mens bikes with a ballpark value. There are so many makes and models to choose from I want to start learning so by April I'll be ready to make a good purchase (or if I see one for sale before then). Thank you.

Post over at the Wheelmen board- Michigan/Indiana/Ohio seems to be their core territory. There are probably a bunch of bikes near you.

Start with a woman's model......

I went with a woman's TOC bike for my first 1890's bike. A 1893 Royal.
DSCN8086.jpg
DSCN8074.jpg
DSCN8073.jpg
View attachment 124165She was a little rough but after many hours of restoration all she needs are the grips. The pics show the bike minus the lacing on the fender and the chain guard, which is now done. The reason I went with a woman's model first is that they have more parts and usually those extra parts are wood and more than less, they run cheaper to buy than a men's, depending on the model. This coming spring I'll be heading to Copake to bid on a men's model, hopefully with wood handle bars. The bike you see here was bought from a CABE member.

I went with a woman's TOC bike for my first 1890's bike. A 1893 Royal. View attachment 124162View attachment 124163View attachment 124164View attachment 124165She was a little rough but after many hours of restoration all she needs are the grips. The pics show the bike minus the lacing on the fender and the chain guard, which is now done. The reason I went with a woman's model first is that they have more parts and usually those extra parts are wood and more than less, they run cheaper to buy than a men's, depending on the model. This coming spring I'll be heading to Copake to bid on a men's model, hopefully with wood handle bars. The bike you see here was bought from a CABE member.

Wow - that's a stunning bike - looks really nicely done. Is she a fixed gear or coaster? I have a similar era ladies bike, not as nice by a long shot, and it has a fixed gear which isn't the most practical to ride with. I heard that the coaster became common on just about every bike in the later 1890s, and I think mine is around 1895 or 6 built so just a year or 2 short of being coaster equipped.

Wow - that's a stunning bike - looks really nicely done. Is she a fixed gear or coaster? I have a similar era ladies bike, not as nice by a long shot, and it has a fixed gear which isn't the most practical to ride with. I heard that the coaster became common on just about every bike in the later 1890s, and I think mine is around 1895 or 6 built so just a year or 2 short of being coaster equipped.

Thanks.........she a fixed gear. Not planning on riding it.........I have my balooners for that :o

Back