When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 jc higgins 3 speed

-

Metal Militia

'Lil Knee Scuffer
hello. this is my first post here, love the site. i found this one as is on the curb last year, and i 've finally gotten it detailed. it's a 1961 jc higgins. i need to replace the rear tire and the seatclamp bolt. comments welcome. thanks, will
P1030487-1.jpg

P1030491-1.jpg

P1030493-1.jpg

P1030494-1.jpg

Awesome 1961 J. C. Higgins

Hey Welcome to the show...

Great detail on that bike. Wish my neighborhood had curbs like yours;)

I think that bike is more scarce than any other brand 1961 Lightweight 3-speed, especially in that condition.

Keep up the quest.

Nice bike! I need similar decals.

Nice bike. I just bought a girls bike like it but not nearly so nice.

Are those original decals? Does anyone know a source for replacements? The ones on my bike are very weathered and flaking off.

Steve S.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 517
hi sjs and welcome. my decals are original. i'm sorry, but i have no idea if these are abailable now. good luck in your search.

Oh well. Thanks. I got the bike stripped down last night. It looks like it's going to be a bit more work than expected. Both rims are trashed. The rear hub was dry and feels a bit loose. The front was so rusted that I almost broke the bolt holding the bars in taking it apart. It'll still cost less than $100 to get into good shape again but cosmetically it will never look new again. Oh well -- it'll be nice to have a bike for guests and for short rides around town. And in this town it'll still get attention :)

Thanks for the reply

Steve S.

Welcome MM, you'll find many of us RRB members here also! Except sometimes with slightly different handles (aka Rustinkerer). "Nice bike. I just bought a girls bike like it but not nearly so nice.

Are those original decals? Does anyone know a source for replacements?"
As far as I've seen, the only JCH decals repopped were for the deluxe balloon Colorflow series. But some printing places can make decals if you can scan a clear image of one.

That's beautiful. I have one just like it , except not in as good condition.It rides great.Good find.:)

Back