When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980s Schwinn Probe project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

indiana dave

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked this up cheap at a flea market. Wanted to build something cool and unique, but cheap to ride around town. Don't like leaving my high $ mountainbike sitting outside the video store or market.
Tried a 700c hybrid, but I like hopping curbs, and hitting the dirt to often, so that bike wasn't a good fit.

Going for a singlespeed. Keeping it simple. Debating on keeping the cantis, or swapping some newer V-brakes on.

Already ditched the upside down roadie bars out for an old riser bar before taking these pics.
IMG_20131222_221641_0.jpg
IMG_20131222_221655_0.jpg
IMG_20131222_221705_0.jpg
IMG_20131222_221715_0.jpg
IMG_20131222_221720_0.jpg
IMG_20131222_221736_0.jpg
IMG_20131222_221754_0.jpg
IMG_20131222_221813_0.jpg

Hitting a bike Co-op tomorrow wo see if I can find some period-correct parts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Im having 2nd thoughts on a singlespeed conversion on this one. It has vertical drop outs, so I'd have to get a chain tensioner. Wanted to keep it cheap and simple. May just ditch 2 rings in front and run it as a 5 speed.

This project kinda got sidelined, but is back on again.
I'm going to a single ring up front, and making it a 5-speed.
Swapped some SLX cranks onto it, and am searching out some odds and ends to get it ridable.
It's going to be more boulevard cruiser than mountainbike now though.

I've taken this bike out now that it has brakes, and a drivetrain.
It's got a parts bin Shimano SLX crankset on it with a single ring, and the original 5-speed rear freewheel.
Got a 5-speed Shimano Revo grip shifter for now, but I hate it. Going to go to a thumb shifter.
Found a period Schwinn seat in fantastic condition for it.

It rides so smooth. And it's actually a pound lighter than my newer aluminum Specialized Stumpjumper.
I like riding it around town much better than the old Stumpjumper.

The main problem is the rear tire has a flat spot.

Trying to decide if I want to go custom with some whitewalls, maybe go semi-period correct with some gumwalls, or go all-out clunker and put some knobbies on it.

I like the smooth ride around town with the "cruiser" tires on it, but I also can't resist hitting the dirt occasionally.

Defintately getting some leather grips, and a more period chrome handlebar.

Any suggestions on some fashionable, smooth riding tires with lots of volume, that won't be to bad if i tear off onto a dirt road or path occasionally?

Updated pics

schwinn 1.jpg

schwinn 2.jpg

schwinn 3.jpg

I have a set of black leather grips, aluminum bars I'm going to polish up for it, and some bear trap pedals on the way.
Might try the bars flipped upside down for the track bike style...

Debating on fenders, and some type of rack or saddlebags.
I ride this to work often, and could use some cargo capacity.
I like to stripped down look though...

Also needs a bigger chain ring in front. Want a singlespeed ring that I can polish up. Not sure how many teeth yet, but my top speed is severely limited right now. LOL

Last edited:
Back