When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spraying old rims ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dodgerblue

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a set of beat up rims that are in need of paint . Can I get a decent paint job without removing all spokes and nipples ? I don't have the skills to respoke wheels . Any advice ?

You could grease/vasaline or tape off all the spokes and nipples....
I say pull em apart and give them a proper paint job, then you have the perfect opportunity to learn to build wheels!!

You could grease/vasaline or tape off all the spokes and nipples....
I say pull em apart and give them a proper paint job, then you have the perfect opportunity to learn to build wheels!!
no b.s bro , but whats the grease/vasaline for ?

It'll keep paint from permanently sticking to the spoke or nipple..

It will be a serious pain, depending on how bad the rims need painting or if they need any body work to fill pits, etc, you might go crazy by the time you finish.

It will be so much easier to refinish the rim apart and get a proper job. If you have access to some sort of media blaster that can strip the old finish off without ruining any spoke plating, etc, you might find that would make it bearable. Otherwise you might wear off you fingerprints before you finish. You are going to tend to pull the new paint off the rims when you strip your masking off the nipples so even that part of it will be a nightmare.

Respoking is not that hard. I did my first set on my Roadmaster project......and they came out pretty decent, and look perfect. I looked at every youtube video I could and asked questions.....and got shiny new spokes and nipples to boot. No, they are not within .0000001 but they don't have to be on a cruiser.

The paint won't stick to it if you coat the nipples and spokes. After the paint dries, just wipe the grease off.

Mike

It'll keep paint from permanently sticking to the spoke or nipple..

It will be a serious pain, depending on how bad the rims need painting or if they need any body work to fill pits, etc, you might go crazy by the time you finish.

It will be so much easier to refinish the rim apart and get a proper job. If you have access to some sort of media blaster that can strip the old finish off without ruining any spoke plating, etc, you might find that would make it bearable. Otherwise you might wear off you fingerprints before you finish. You are going to tend to pull the new paint off the rims when you strip your masking off the nipples so even that part of it will be a nightmare.

Respoking is not that hard. I did my first set on my Roadmaster project......and they came out pretty decent, and look perfect. I looked at every youtube video I could and asked questions.....and got shiny new spokes and nipples to boot. No, they are not within .0000001 but they don't have to be on a cruiser.
Very good advice from everyone , thanx a lot for such quick response . Im going to take advice and strip em down , paint em , and relace , or respoke if that's the correct way to say it .

dodgerblue -Restoration advice

Yes, you can successfully do a perfect repaint without removing the spokes.
I have been restoring bikes & cars professionally for 40 years.
Whatever you do, Do not use any type of grease or vaseline!.
Below are some pictures of a set of wheels I restored without removing the spokes.
The pictures are of the same rims before and after.
I sanded off all of the flaking chrome & rust.
I then sanded each spoke with 1000 grit sandpaper, then polished the spokes and nipples.
I then washed all of the residue off of the rims.
Once the rims & spokes are dry, wipe them down with rubbing alcohol.
Then tape out each nipple where it meets the rim with green 3m auto quality masking tape.
Once the nipples are taped out, tape out the spokes.
At this point you are ready to spray the primer, then the finish coats of color.
( Keep in mind, the tires have to be off the rims also)
I use Automotive acrylic enamel, with my spray gun, but you can also get nice results from a spray can.
I don't always spray rims this way, in most cases I paint a stripped rim then relace with new spokes.
Anyway I hope this information helps...........Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_9426.JPG
    IMG_9426.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_9427.JPG
    IMG_9427.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9425.JPG
    IMG_9425.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    309.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_8795.JPG
    IMG_8795.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 217
I've got to hand it to you, you did a beautiful job. But for heavens sake, why go to all that trouble when you can just unlace them.

Ozark Flyer

I usually do strip & relace the rims, I just wanted to show that it can be done.
It is of course, much easier to paint a bare rim and relace it with stainless.
Below are pix of the right way to go. These Columbia rims were also rusted chrome.
I stripped the rims, painted them & relaced them with new stainless spokes.
Stainless spokes are cool !
Again, it is way easier to strip a rim & respoke it than to tape it out, I was only creating an example..........Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_3771.JPG
    IMG_3771.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 210
Back