When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

latest barn find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Claysgarage

Finally riding a big boys bike
A bit crusty, but I would say this Century bike made it a century! Not sure on date, maybe someone could help me out there. The rear rim looks to be metal, must have been changed? Head badge has Century Marathon USA.
century bike.jpg

Believe the chainring to be commonly found on Excelsior bicycles although I'm not sure they are exclusive to that mfg. I've seen the same ring on a different make in the Bicycling World and Motorcycle Review Magazines at around the turn of the Century.

I have found several ad's with Excelsior having this chain ring. Does anyone else have anything to help verify maker and of year of the bike?

trying to figure out brand and year of bike. Been told 1898-1914? Best clues on brand have been Excelsior. What can you tell me Wheeled Relics ?

Guesstimate detective work

Prewar diamond frame 1908-1912(?)

Frame:
Tube dia: post-1905
In frame seatpost clamp
Straight fender bracket (no fender hole?)
In frame tensioners

Saddle: 1908-1912ish?
stem/bars: 1901-1915
Fork: 1910ish
Headset: No collar
Vertical or horizontal badge holes/shadow(?)

Metal clad wheels/ single tubes or clinchers?
Model A Coaster(?:(post-19xx?
Chain: block or skip?
Ring: 26 tooth post 190x(?) don't remember type I'll see it again sooner or later and ID its not super uncommon, just old.
Straight arm diamond shape crankset

Last edited:
century headbadge.jpg

I believe the front wheel is original and it is a wooden rim no clad. I will to take closer look at chain ring and such.

I found a little information on web. I found in two places Century Cycles were made in Chicago. One article showed they were producing bikes 1892-1894. They also noted making Brand Arrow.

Well that makes it easy doesn't it? It's a Century Cycle Co. "Marathon", but that bike was not manf between 1892-1894 because diamond frames of that nature did not exist until 1895/96. in 1892-94 the inception of the diamond frame was in it's final evolutionary jump. Everything about this particular bike suggests post-1900; pre-1920 that should help narrow your research to an era that will produce results.

Last edited:
Back