When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood wheel - Clincher

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
B

Bill Rennie

I looking for a 1900-1920 wooden rim wheel (25" dia) that will take a 28x1-1/2inch clincher tire. I've picked up a CCM Brantford Model 534, and need the proper rear wheel to complete it. Also am looking for a wood hand grip, again early 1900's. I managed to purchase a Lobdell wood rim with a great New Departure Model "D" coaster hub, that I'd put up in trade for the correct wheel. Unfortunately a clincher tire won't fit.

Your help is appreciated.

Bill
Calgary, Alberta

im pretty sure(if im mistaken please chime in..i dont know it all)that wood wheels are pretty much only for single tubes and they only made steel clinchers(again i dont claim to know it all but ive never seen or heard of wooden clinchers....)

Is this the kind of rim you are looking for? It is a wooden rim for 28" clincher tires. I don't think modern clincher tires will work on it.

P1010024-1.jpg

like i said before.... i dont claim to know everything(or even much for that matter;)) but i did learn something new:D

Wood Rims

I have down loaded a 1900 "Lewis and Sons's" catelog which show the various rims made by a company called Bowmanville. (pg 23). One has to remember that rims were made for buggies as well as for bicycles. The "Sulky" and "Cresent" styles shown would be for tubular tires, while the "G & J" and the "Dunlop" were for clinchers. I have previously corresponded with an owner of some early 1900's bikes who uses 700CX38mm clincher tires.
The rim in your picture looks like a "G&J"

The link to the catalog is below:

http://www.archive.org/details/bicycleaccess00riceuoft

It has some great picture of hubs, frames and virtually all parts for bikes of the era.

I heard back from the Ghisallo distributor, and 28 inch rims are available- here's the email I received:
"Hi Andrew,

We'd be happy to make some but the delivery might approach 4 weeks (including shipping). Since it's a standard size, the price is the same ($185/ea).

Now that lots of huge tires are available in 700C (thanks to the 29er scene), it can sub for the old English 28. Depends, of course, on your brake system. I do have Balloon (and Sport) in Seattle in 700C X 36.

Cheers,
Ric"

If you are just looking for a functional clincher for 28" tires, there are now some super wide 700c rims for disc brake set-ups that have the right width and profile. I am thinking of some for a motobike project I have:
http://www.spadout.com/p/salsa-gordo-29er-disc-36h/
Somewhat expensive, not original, will need to be painted BUT lots of tires available. Just a suggestion, but one I'm thinking about.

CCM bikes had 28" wood clincher tires and the new 700c size tires will fit them. My friend has many CCM bikes with wood wheels and they are all clinchers. The turn of the century bikes may have not used clinchers.

early track bikes in the us can get them and the early paramount bike could get them as a option.

Back