When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help dating/naming an Old Huffy

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
F

Flagg19

Hey everyone. I'm just a beginner in the world of antique bicycles and such and was wondering if you could help me date this Huffy I recently bought and fixed up. Any help/responses are appreciated.

The serial code on the back wheel bracket (?) is c72194. Thanks!

downsizeth-1.jpg

To date Huffy bicycles, first, you must find the serial number. The first digit in the number is the last digit in the year it was built. Second, you must look for other features or characteristics that would determine it's decade.

Your bike's number starts with "7". This would mean that the year is 19-7. Now, the characteristics and features. You're bike has a sprocket, color scheme, and reflectors that would most likely put it in the 60s or 70s. The missing key is your tire width. You tell me that, I can give you the year. But it is probably a 1967-but tire width will tell for sure.

The name is obvious, it's on the chaingaurd "Easy Going".

Yeah the tire widths are both 26 x 1.75.

Thanks for the help.

No problem. 1967 Huffy Easy Going. Nice bike, how much work did it take to restore?

It wasn't too bad. I guess I didn't really do too much. I mainly just removed all the rust from the handlebars/wheels/other various parts with naval jelly and steel wool. I cleaned it well and touched up some of the paint.

The tires were still in fairly good shape, so I just had to pump them up and polish them. I love riding it though! Definitely worth the $40 I spent on it.

Thanks again for all the help.

No problem. I have a 1963 Huffy and you won't believe how I got it.

Every year, my town has a community garage sale. In 2006, I was at this sale being run by two girls who looked like they were in their 20s. I was looking around and was pretty bored at this sale until I was in the shed/barn and a fender caught my eye. I looked and it was a whole bike. I asked one of the girls if it was for sale and she asked me "Well, originally it wasn't, but, what do think it's worth?". I had no clue as I had not yet done anything with Huffys. I told her "I really have no clue, I don't know hardly anything about Huffys." She said "$2.00 and its yours." HOLY COW! I bought it in a heart beat. I dragged it out of it's resting place and guess what it was covered in? Dirt, tools, and...OIL! I asked if I could leave it here until the end of the day (5:00pm) she said I could and I did. I came back and it was raining they opened the gate and I tried to ride it down the long driveway, but, the I broke the masterlink. I have repaired the masterlink and the bike looks a lot like the one in the music video for "Sleeping Bag" by ZZ Top. Though its not same bike, just looks like it.

The history is that their grandpa was the original owner, he took very good care of it until he could no longer ride due to his health. He parked the bike and it sat for over 25 years, maybe longer. Being covered in oil was a big break for me. The oil preserved the chrome, paint, rubber, and upholstry. The underside of the fenders are I think rust free. I'm cleaning the bike now and originally it was to be a parts donor for my Columbia, but I changed my mind. It sat in my attic since it's purchase and now, it down, taken apart, and getting a good, through cleaning inside and out. It will not be restored as they are only factory original once.

Back