When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter cable for Sears Spyder 5-speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

indiana dave

Finally riding a big boys bike
Trying to figure out what type of shifter cable I need for this bike.
It's a 68 or 69 Sears Spyder 24" 5-speed.
The "nodule" on the end of the cable at the shifter is tiny. Smaller than a mountainbike or road bike cable.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source for these?
Going to replace all of the cables, and add a front brake to get this bike ridable again.

Thanks. I've ordered stuff from them before.
Found the manufacturer "Huret" on the shifter clamp.
I think I found the cable. Is the housing anything special, or would any shifter housing work?

i am not really familiar with housings other than on Schwinns. you can use any housing but try and find what the original color was and order that

Yes, that Huret shifter inner cable does have a very small end. These are used on many lightweight Schwinn bikes.You can modify a standard cable to work but the Huret are available so no real reason to modify one. I have NOS Huret inner cables if your other source does not work out. Happy Collecting

Thanks for the info.
I actually just won a shifter, cable and even a speedometer off Ebay.
It doesn't appear t be the exact correct one for this bike, but for the price, it will do for mt semi-correct restification.
I'll post pics when I get it all installed.

This shifter is the correct vintage, but appears to use a standard shifter cable. I should be able to get one locally.

Back