When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red paint code for Black/Red Phantom- Here it is!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sfhschwinn

I live for the CABE
I searched for the red paint codes for the Phantom but the only things that came up were from Dupont and the horrid spray cans. I went to Sherwin Williams and they matched the red that was perfectly preserved under the headbadge on my 1949 Black Phantom. I would say the paint they sell was a 99.9% match to my Phantom. Here it is!:

Safety Red 6403-25734 Oil Based gloss Enamel.

It was only about $35 for a quart!

So what type oil base enamel did you get? An alkyd type that thins with paint thinner or mineral spirits? No synthetic acrylic enamel?

all the can says is all surface oil base gloss enamel on the can. The guy in the store said I may or may not have to thin the paint with the spray gun but if I do to use paint thinner. ingredients in the paint include mineral spirits snd alkyd polymer. The Honda red you are referring to is made by Dupont which while may be the right color I would not use because is not made by Sherwin Williams which was the company that made the original paint for Schwinn.

Last edited:
all the can says is all surface oil base gloss enamel on the can. The guy in the store said I may or may not have to thin the paint with the spray gun but if I do to use paint thinner. ingredients in the paint include mineral spirits snd alkyd polymer. The Honda red you are referring to is made by Dupont which while may be the right color I would not use because is not made by Sherwin Williams which was the company that made the original paint for Schwinn.

Is this for the Phantom you are restoring and said you would paint the red first? If so then I don't know why you would want to be a stickler for brand of paint which is much less a factor in a correct paint job then doing it like the factory did which was to paint the black first--then red. V/r Shawn

Yes this is the bike I'm restoring. I am going to paint the bike with a coat of black first, then red, apply the template for two tone, and then shoot it black again so it would have the black undercoat as the factory did.

Yes this is the bike I'm restoring. I am going to paint the bike with a coat of black first, then red, apply the template for two tone, and then shoot it black again so it would have the black undercoat as the factory did.

The factory shot it black first, applied the template, and then shot the red. I'm not understanding why you would shoot an extra coat of paint? V/r Shawn

The reason I am doing it in that order with the extra coat is because the template I have requires the red to be applied first and then black after. So I have to do it black red black so the black is under the red

The reason I am doing it in that order with the extra coat is because the template I have requires the red to be applied first and then black after. So I have to do it black red black so the black is under the red

I'd just get some frisket paper, reverse the template, and shoot it like Schwinn did thereby saving the extra step (and paint). Thick paint, especially where stuff attaches such as the dropouts will cause some issues during re-assembly. V/r Shawn

You will have to thin that particular type of paint to spray it, trust me. The oil base alkyds are what I used to spray hundreds of metal doors, door jambs, overhead garage doors and wrought iron fencing. Down side with that paint is it takes a while to dry and it fades and oxidizes really fast here in Arizona. Check out the data and see if it contains xylene or toluene. I would use one of those for a thinner and it will aid in a faster cure time.

Back