When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70's Columbia Tourist Expert

-

cycleblurbs

On Training Wheels
I'm looking at this Columbia Tourist Expert III on Craigslist. This will be my first vintage bike purchase and although I like the bike I think it's priced a little high. Here's a link to the ad:

Is it worth $150?

Last edited:
It's a trick bike. The money would get you a better bike, though doubtful a cooler one.
I'm sure he will learn that he'll have to barter on the price.

No- that's a later Columbia lightweight. Columbia's 1940s-50s lightweights are where you want to put your money. That's basically a commuter/grocery getter type bike. It's reasonably well made but not one of Columbia's better bikes if you go back to the 40s-50s lightweights.

Well he went down to $125 so I'm going to take a look at it and see if I like it. I'm looking for something I can ride right now that I don't have to fix up. I've had a really hard time getting a bike that fits and feels comfortable so if this one does I don't mind paying $125 for it. It looks like he's put new tires/tubes on it, brake pads, cables etc., so it might not be a terrible deal.

I'm also a little time crunched since I don't want to waste any more of the summer.

Since I'm not looking to flip the bike but to ride it myself I wanted to make sure this was a decent bike and that I wasn't paying an absolutely crazy price for it. I've had a difficult time finding out much of anything online about the bike so I appreciate your responses. I love the look of the bike and if it is comfortable and rides well I'll be thrilled. That will give me some time to look around for the bikes I really want and get my feet wet with restoration.

It's not a good bike, and for the money you should be able to scare up a much better Peugeot or Motobecane if you want something from that period- heck, I paid less than that for a Dawes Galaxy here in San Francisco. A Schwinn Speedster or Collegiate would be a better built bike, or like Sir Mike said, go earlier. A Schwinn New World is a great bike, and usually pretty cheap.

Ah well I think I'll go ahead and pass on it. It's a cool looking bike but I think you guys are probably right. Plus my budget is tight so even though I'd like something right away I'm going to hold out for something better that's closer to what I want.

Thanks again!

My suggestion would be for $125, you should be able to get yourself a decent Raleigh Sports 3 speed from the 1960s or 70s. Schwinn 3 speeds are ok from that era. I think the Raleigh is the better buy. If you like a 10 speed, Peugeot, Motobecane, Gitane, or Raleigh.

I would really like a Raleigh Sports but they've been hard to come by here in decent condition in my price range. I'll keep my eyes open though. My biggest need is that the posture is upright and it's reliable. I like the Schwinn's as well-Collegiate, Suburban, Traveler and the Breeze off the top of my head. Anyway, I definitely appreciate the suggestions.

You guys would not believe (or maybe you would) the cost to refrubish a bike nowadays. Tires, tubes, and rim strips can cost $50 alone and I HAVE parted out bicycles because they needed tires and a chain...one was a very clean 1972 Firestone Warrior ladies bike. Everybody bitched and moaned when they saw or heard of it yet nobody wanted to pay me the amount of money it cost to fix it.

I didn't see the ad but is this bike has new tires, tubes, rim strips, shifter and brake cables, deraileur adjustments, etc it was actually a good deal. Depending on how much was done, it could have been practically new. I did a ton of work to a '77 Varsity and got $125 out of it. I turned a profit because I got it dirt cheap and did nearly all of the work myself.

You guys would not believe (or maybe you would) the cost to refrubish a bike nowadays. Tires, tubes, and rim strips can cost $50 alone and I HAVE parted out bicycles because they needed tires and a chain...one was a very clean 1972 Firestone Warrior ladies bike. Everybody bitched and moaned when they saw or heard of it yet nobody wanted to pay me the amount of money it cost to fix it.

I didn't see the ad but is this bike has new tires, tubes, rim strips, shifter and brake cables, deraileur adjustments, etc it was actually a good deal. Depending on how much was done, it could have been practically new. I did a ton of work to a '77 Varsity and got $125 out of it. I turned a profit because I got it dirt cheap and did nearly all of the work myself.

Unfortunately it often goes into the category of "throwing good money after bad" when refurbishing a low value non collectable bike. It is only going to be worth so much regardless of how much money one invests into fixing it up. Then the parts put into it are "used" and lose value as well.

It is unfortunate like I said because these Tourists were decent riding bikes. I see a ton of them that were used for decades as long as they were looked after. Probably why there is little value now, too many were made and have survived in good condition.

Back