When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To paint or not to paint...

-

rollfaster

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
That is the question. My 1960 debutantes white paint looks terrible. I usally never repaint schwinns but the chrome cleaned up so nice that it makes the paint look bad. Would like some feedback on this. I do believe the decals are still available in pink. Thanks, rob. Only frame and fork need repainting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Was that seatstay rebrazed? Maybe some gum? stuck there?

Hold back the gasoline and matches after I say repaint it if you,re thinking about it. ;) The ladies like nice pretty new looking bikes and white sure looks like crap all chipped and rusted up.

Last edited:
Hi Rob , did you try some rubbing compound , that white should clean up a little better than that . If you decide to sell it I would be a player.
Lee :cool:

That's funny lee..

Hi Rob , did you try some rubbing compound , that white should clean up a little better than that . If you decide to sell it I would be a player.
Lee :cool:

That's what I haven't tried yet. Was just thinking I've not done that yet, so I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. I did wash and degrease, then wd40 and 0000 steel wool. But it just didn't clean it up good enough. I really don't wAnt to do a repaint.

Tar

Was that seatstay rebrazed? Maybe some gum? stuck there?

Hold back the gasoline and matches after I say repaint it if you,re thinking about it. ;) The ladies like nice pretty new looking bikes and white sure looks like crap all chipped and rusted up.

Tar on frame in several spots. No issues with the frame. Just absolutly filthy.

After seeing this picture, Rob, DO NOT use rubbing compound on that frame and fork. Use No. 7 polishing compound in the green and white can. Rubbing compound will remove too much paint, possibly down to the primer.Take the bike totally apart before you do this. I think you'll be surprised how nice this bike will look. After seeing this and our PM's on SBF about this bike, I do not think that the frame and fork need repainted.When you use the polishing compound, BE VERY CAREFUL that you do not polish off the decal on the seat mast tube or the screened darts on the fork. I do not thik you will need to buff the paint that hard to bring the color back. Yes, I think the paint on that thing is in better shape than I was led to believe.

Jim.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim

I'll get some no.7 and give it a whirl. Bike is completely apart now and I do have the correct 3 rivet pink and white seat for it. I always go easy around the original decals. As always, thanks for the help Jim. I'll keep you posted on its progress. Rob.

I've always wondered what "Bar Keepers Friend" would do on a bike like that. get a soft rag, a bucket of warm water and some Bar Keepers friend and see how it goes. you can always paint if all else fails.

Bar keepers friend

I second the bar keepers then. Polish might come out killer.
Its only orig. Once. A little character always ads to a vintage bike anyway

I have had good results using Soft Scrub on cars. I once did a whole 1965 VW Beetle and it turned out well. Just go easy and slow. Stay away from the pinstripes on forks and lettering on chain guard.

Back