When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was '55 the only year for a girl's Phantom?

-

Nickinator

Riding my '38 Deluxe Bluebird
I have always heard that '55 was the only year for a girl's Phantom, but recently heard that a member here said they were also made in other years- '53 - '56?
Could use some info on this- thx!

Darcie

Last edited:
55 was the only year for the blue phantom,folklore has it that it was for xmas,i have seen blk,red and gren,there was also supose to be a boys blue in 55 but ive never seen an original,there was what looked like a black girls phantom on mpls craigs list last week,it had the phantom front fender and light,but no tank or fack and also a panther chain guard,was way rough,thought i may have seen ir resurface but the phantom front fender and light were no longer ther,might have beena coinincidence

55 only as far as I know. The person that said it was made in 53 could be mistaking a lady's Panther? Or maybe the duplication of some serial numbers?

i think freqman has a green one and i think ozark flyer parted one out don remember the color

55 and 56 schwinn catalog lists the girls phantoems in all the colors but saya blue was only on the girls,if someone has an original blue boys it would be kool to see

There was an orig girl's Phantom at the Mpls Penn Cycle swap, S/N dated '55, believe Jeff/Rear Facing Drop Out's girl's was a '55...
have yet to see an unrestored girl's Phantom of another year...?

We have one that is restored as a Phantom but S/N dates it to a '53, my thought also was it was originally a Panther.

Darcie

Here is the short answer-Girls is '55 only and was available in all four colors for the entire year. The boy blue Phantom is known to exist but the prevailing lore is Nov '55 serial number only. V/r Shawn

i dont know who pat is,i usually go by my own observations,i i was a dealer and a customer wanted or i could get a sale on a girls bike with phantom pieces on it id order it or build,i feel an original bike lens the mosr credence,if you want a girls phantom build one,what are we talkin about maby 2 grand?not the end of the world,and im sure pat has some good info but ive seen orig ones out of thye accepted time frame,schwinn prolly thought a girls phantom would cut in on ballooner girls sales,remember there is the norm then thiers the ecception

Back