When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Schwinn Corvette Rack

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Pantmaker

I live for the CABE
What was the steel portion of this front rack originally plated with. There isnt enough left on it to tell. I think some new skin would really sharpen this up. Anyone ever replated this section?

20140729_202400.jpg

Well, I'll take a good guess from looking at my examples. I think the coating was a quick dip in zinc, galvanized to a satin silver. No easy way that I know of to remove the mouse trap section for replating.

Attachments

• Mayweg Rack 002 (Medium).jpg
    Mayweg Rack 002 (Medium).jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 80
Wow

Holy cow...I forgot you had that. Man look at the finish on the aluminum...sweet. From what I can tell...you can "shrug" the spring back which exposes the seam in the end piece that is clamped around the aluminum frame. Once exposed, I think I might be able to open it up....do both sides and it's off.

Man that aluminum is buffed up more than I figured it was originally.

If you can get that crimped section of the rod spread open enough to slide over the axle mounting section it would come off. I've never opened myself up to inflict that kind of pain. ;)

Another pic. The finish even tarnished on a NOS rack that had been wrapped up for years, with paper.

Attachments

• Mayweg Rack 014.jpg
    Mayweg Rack 014.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 84
Interesting

It looks like they were trying to present one "finish look" and not two contrasting metals like I originally thought. This is very helpful thanks. Dang that is a nice rack.

Just picked up a real nice 55 and the rack trap looks like it was zinc plated, like a lag, hex bolt etc. I really can't tell the difference between a shiny zinc plating and a quick crappy chrome job.

1955 Girls Corvette Opal Green 026.JPG

1955 Girls Corvette Opal Green 005.JPG

Wow

Holy cow...I forgot you had that. Man look at the finish on the aluminum...sweet. From what I can tell...you can "shrug" the spring back which exposes the seam in the end piece that is clamped around the aluminum frame. Once exposed, I think I might be able to open it up....do both sides and it's off.

Man that aluminum is buffed up more than I figured it was originally.

... might be able to open it up... or break it, one/the other.

Back