When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with cleaning spokes

-

Monarky

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a wheel set that has spokes that are straight and tight but just need some cleaning as the spokes have very little rust and still a good shine underneath. Can anyone tell what product I can use to clean up these spokes without having to take them off? Inquiring minds shan't to know. Thanks Monarky. :cool:

If they just have a gray slight crusty look I just use 0000 steel wool on them along with the nipples. It smoothens them out and keeps them looking original.

If they just have a gray slight crusty look I just use 0000 steel wool on them along with the nipples. It smoothens them out and keeps them looking original.

i do exactly the same, but I shoot them with WD40 and then use the #0000. I've gotten the nastiest spokes super smooth and like new this way.

i do exactly the same, but I shoot them with WD40 and then use the #0000. I've gotten the nastiest spokes super smooth and like new this way.

I'm going to give it a try... Thanks for the info guys. :cool:

I'm always afraid of removing the finish, so I try to avoid using steel wool and just use a toothbrush with some WD40 on it. But that's just me.

I use a soft brass wire wheel and a lot of technique, then the inside with a soft brass bristle brush, these run .99 at Harbor Freight Tools.
I don't use WD40 on wheels, because it makes things messy and adds an additional step of wiping off.
I have thought about making a youtube video on the subject, maybe later.
Chris

I use a soft brass wire wheel and a lot of technique, then the inside with a soft brass bristle brush, these run .99 at Harbor Freight Tools.
I don't use WD40 on wheels, because it makes things messy and adds an additional step of wiping off.
I have thought about making a youtube video on the subject, maybe later.
Chris

hey Chris - would def be interested in the youtube video especially if i dont need to use wd40! how rusted of spokes have you done with the wire brush method? would it work on the very rusted?

i agree if the spokes still have finish you dont want to over scour them. the ones i have done are always completely "rust colored" and come back to a smooth dull grey.

just use a toothbrush with some WD40 on it. But that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Your teeth must look great. I hope you dont smoke.WD 40 is flamable

Back