When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with cleaning spokes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Monarky

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a wheel set that has spokes that are straight and tight but just need some cleaning as the spokes have very little rust and still a good shine underneath. Can anyone tell what product I can use to clean up these spokes without having to take them off? Inquiring minds shan't to know. Thanks Monarky. :cool:

If they just have a gray slight crusty look I just use 0000 steel wool on them along with the nipples. It smoothens them out and keeps them looking original.

If they just have a gray slight crusty look I just use 0000 steel wool on them along with the nipples. It smoothens them out and keeps them looking original.

i do exactly the same, but I shoot them with WD40 and then use the #0000. I've gotten the nastiest spokes super smooth and like new this way.

i do exactly the same, but I shoot them with WD40 and then use the #0000. I've gotten the nastiest spokes super smooth and like new this way.

I'm going to give it a try... Thanks for the info guys. :cool:

I'm always afraid of removing the finish, so I try to avoid using steel wool and just use a toothbrush with some WD40 on it. But that's just me.

I use a soft brass wire wheel and a lot of technique, then the inside with a soft brass bristle brush, these run .99 at Harbor Freight Tools.
I don't use WD40 on wheels, because it makes things messy and adds an additional step of wiping off.
I have thought about making a youtube video on the subject, maybe later.
Chris

I use a soft brass wire wheel and a lot of technique, then the inside with a soft brass bristle brush, these run .99 at Harbor Freight Tools.
I don't use WD40 on wheels, because it makes things messy and adds an additional step of wiping off.
I have thought about making a youtube video on the subject, maybe later.
Chris

hey Chris - would def be interested in the youtube video especially if i dont need to use wd40! how rusted of spokes have you done with the wire brush method? would it work on the very rusted?

i agree if the spokes still have finish you dont want to over scour them. the ones i have done are always completely "rust colored" and come back to a smooth dull grey.

just use a toothbrush with some WD40 on it. But that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Your teeth must look great. I hope you dont smoke.WD 40 is flamable

Back