When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure brake discs...would you?

-

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm rebuilding my 1950 skiptooth roadmaster luxury liner rear hub. Just got replacement hoops and spokes with nipples. Cleaning the ND model "D" hub and doing a rebuild for the reassembly.
But I found my discs have some major wear.
I'll assume these discs work from friction but, these gouges in a number of the discs worries me.
Not having a large supply of replacement discs I would replace these damaged ones.
Would you re-use these or toss them?

Thanks for the help in advance.
JD

Here are the good ones from the 21 discs
49ca546351076bc8c7a86a21bfb810e3.jpg

And here are the gouged and keyway worn away ones. ..of course these with the key ways will be tossed.
59bf7c6e7d388a666c824a02f96c86df.jpg

51de0edab20fb868022b32ec1bd9ad00.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Almost looks like it was assembled without enough discs. I would just replace the discs with the keyways damaged. I wouldn't worry about the gouges in the fingered discs. That's not a typical issue and was only caused by the other discs being beat up.. but that's just me.

Last edited:
Actually that looks like a lot of total discs.. I don't remember how many came on the later hubs, but I feel like it was around 21.. I'm counting 29?

22 or 23

Actually that looks like a lot of total discs.. I don't remember how many came on the later hubs, but I feel like it was around 21.. I'm counting 29?

Maybe it depends on the hub. My 56 spitfire nd hub contained 23 I believe.

They would have an odd number of discs no matter what. So I'd guess this is a case of too many discs and they crushed themselves. Pick the nicest 23 then swap out a couple if you have a few spare.

There is only 21 discs total.
The extras are from a batch of discs I bought from Gordon a while back.
Stig....I think the finger ed ones might be still re use a le. But the keywayed discs worried me for sure.
So I guess it's time to go through my hubs on toasted rims and see if I can salvage enough discs from those. Otherwise I guess I'll be in the market for replacements.
Thanks Jason and Rob for chiming in.

Last edited:
Here are the replacement hoops....thanks to Goldengreek for finding them for me.
Thanks Paisan!!
They will do for sure.
Now to just get this bike back together....going to get cold soon...lol

431b3368696103967dfa3f4aa4a5c9be-1.jpg

Last edited:
you should have 23 (12 steel n 11 bronze)start and end with steel........ but heck what do i know i lose hub parts :rolleyes:
IMG_2641_zps1e8b9c75-1.jpg

Here are the replacement hoops....thanks to Goldengreek for finding them for me.
Thanks Paisan!!
They will do for sure.
Now to just get this bike back together....going get cold soon...lol

431b3368696103967dfa3f4aa4a5c9be-1.jpg

Nice and anytime, they cleaned up really good JD Enjoy you Mofo and now get that bike together already!

Back