When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miami - LATONIA

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bentwoody66

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
That message I sent via 37 fleetwood? I noticed it was sold!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the message, Ken ..... Thanks ... and thanks to Scott (37fleetwood) !!!

I appreciate the head's - up. Some very fortunate soul is now the happy-owner of
a Miami - Latonia frame !!!

............... patric

=====================
=====================

I bought that frame. It seemed like a great deal, and that short, raked head tube and Covington provenance was irresistible. My family lived nearabouts there for generations. Now all I need is a correct fork, bottom bracket, cranks, sprocket, and a few other minor details, like maybe an idea of what the Latonia brand of bicycle was, how old the frame is, and even a picture of what the bike looked like. Any assistance would be surely appreciated.

latonia-race-track-covington-kentucky.jpg

There seems to be lots of information on Merkels and Racycles, but very little on this marque.

Last edited:
I bought that frame. It seemed like a great deal, and that short, raked head tube and Covington provenance was irresistible. My family lived nearabouts there for generations. Now all I need is a correct fork, bottom bracket, cranks, sprocket, and a few other minor details, like maybe an idea of what the Latonia brand of bicycle was, how old the frame is, and even a picture of what the bike looked like. Any assistance would be surely appreciated.

View attachment 167046

There seems to be lots of information on Merkels and Racycles, but very little on this marque.

Good morning, barracuda. I'll take a poke at your query. Look .. what I share with you is pure thought.
Nothing more - nothing less.

The Miami - Latonia parallels the Davis - Daytonia in that those names have a similarity of pronunciation.

Ads for either marque can be seen listed with other marques representing their respective companies.

This typer has never seen an ad for the Latonia or the Daytonia listed alone.

While it is very possible the Latonia is named with respect to the Latonia Racetrack in KY ... as Miami Cycle &
Manuf. Co. is geographically-positioned in Middletown, OH (just up the road from Latonia, KY) ... this typer has
no proof or evidence to make that claim.

Do I personally think the Miami - Latonia is named for the Latonia Racetrack in KY ?

Am typing in whisper-mode, now ... Yes .. I do think there may be a connection.

However, much more research on this topic is indicated.

.............. patric cafaro

===========================
===========================

This is the place to do your digging:
http://hjc.com/about.html

I don't believe this is a Boren bicycle. The badge pretty clearly states that it is a Middletown OH, Miami Latonia:

latonia.jpg

I think the use of the name "Latonia" by these two cycle companies is similar to the use of the "Daytona" name by car makers such as Dodge and Shelby: they are appropriating the public name of a well known race track to associate their product with the history, allure and excitement of that track.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is a Boren bicycle. The badge pretty clearly states that it is a Middletown OH, Miami Latonia:

View attachment 167069

I think the use of the name "Latonia" by these two cycle companies is similar to the use of the "Daytona" name by car makers such as Dodge and Shelby: they are appropriating the public name of a well known race track to associate their product with the history, allure and excitement of that track.

I Agree with your thoughts - barracuda.

................... patric

============================
============================

I suspect there is a Boren connection to this bicycle, though not through the Boren Company per se.

Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 9.19.51 AM.png

Edgar Boren was a bicycle racer in and around Dallas, and rode to much acclaim and local records in the early '90s on a Stearns Yellow Flyer, or Yellow Fellow.

6777689277_03812cca15_zps1216176f.jpg

Boren started his own bicycle shop in Dallas, and went on to work for Simmons Hardware in about 1900. At some point - not sure when yet - he went to work for Miami Cycle Company, eventually becoming a vice president, evidently on the strength of his sales abilities.

Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 9.19.35 AM.png

The above copy is from 1922, and you can see that the Latonia name is no longer being used by Miami.

Now I'm gonna spitball.

As a vice-president of Miami Cycle Company, Edgar Boren may have had great input into the design and marketing of the marques under their banner. If he did, then he may have had some responsibility in the naming of the Latonia marque. And when he began badging "Boren" bicycles in the early 1930's, he may have revived the Latonia name for his Schwinn- and other- built bicycles. Maybe.

Boren died in 1935.

Questions would be - were bicycles ever raced at Latonia? Were they raced there during Boren's formative period as a racer? And - most importantly for me - WHAT DID THE DARN BIKE'S FORK LOOK LIKE?

Sorry about that outburst. More to come.

Last edited:
When and WHY did Miami go kaput? I've never gotten a clear answer to this question.

I know they sold to Westfield, but why? Weird.

Larmo, I think I can give you a partial answer to that question. To begin with, you have to remember that Miami was making more than bicycles and motorcycles. For instance, they also manufactured bathroom cabinets:

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 7.39.26 AM.png

"Miami Pure White Cabinets" catalogue here.

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 8.47.57 AM.png

So after 1917, they quit production of the Merkel motorcycle line as a result of the war and increased competition from the automotive industry. But by 1921 they were heavily capitalizing the company by issuing shares.

1921:

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 7.21.14 AM.png

Obviously, someone in the upper management had overestimated the ability of the company to live up to the promise of 2.5 million in outstanding debt, and in 1923 the debt was called by the largest holder of these shares, The Empire Trust Company of New York (eventually the Bank of New York).

1923:

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 7.12.29 AM.png

After the company went into receivership, its various parts were sold off: the cycling interest to Westfield, the cabinet company spun off to someone else, etc.

In other words, it would seem a case of poor management or deliberate asset stripping by the board, as they overcapitalized a company that was already seeing decreased sales as seen by the loss of the motorcycle business. I suspect malfeasance, myself.

Last edited:
Back