When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Girl's Spitfire

-

Temilitary

Look Ma, No Hands!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Started life with us as a $5 barn find. It cleaned up nice, with nice survivor paint. Very happy with it. Just need some help with the serial number, can't find it listed anywhere. I believe it is a 1960, but first digit sure looks like an "8" to me, it would make sense if it was a "B", but it sure looks like an "8". Any Input would be welcome. See photos. Sorry the serial number post is upside down, can't get it to flip the other way. Added a second photo of the serial number that I was able to get to load the correct way.....stupid iPad.

Last edited:
Hand Stamped Number

Pretty unusual SN stamping. First off it looks like the first number/letter was struck twice. I can't make it out for sure. Take a close up pic and look for the striking details on your computer. Almost looks like two sideways o's in an attempt to make an 8. Second thing, that serial number was hand stamped. Spacing, size etc is not that of a factory production stamping. It for sure is not a 1960 bike or serial number no matter how you view it. Starting in 58 the serial started with a letter followed by 6 numbers. I'd take a guess and say that may have been a factory replacement frame or something of that nature. See if there is a year casting on the crank. Chainguard is a 54 and later and 59 had all new guards. Seat looks like a 58 issue.

FYI.... The 1955 models were ballooners, for 1956 the Spitfire was offered as a ballooner and a middleweight. For 57 and on the Spitfire was a middleweight. I can't say all, so I'll say some of the Spitfires of this time period had the bolt on kickstands.

Last edited:
Unless there is some date coded parts on that Spitfire, figuring out the actual year may be impossible. I believe the frame is a warranty replacement. Note the size of the number 5 compared to the other numbers. All the numbers were undoubtedly hand stamped by someone. If the bike is a middleweight it could have been a 1956-57 or 58 model. Here is a shot of a factory stamped SN. Notice the number location. It also starts off higher so that it's not hidden with the axle nut and washer like the bike in question. I'm not sure when they started date stamping the fork but that is worth a try. Just above the left dropout on the inside of the blade you might find a three or four digit number like 8-58, and it's pretty small.

Attachments

• 1963 badged bike SN.jpg
    1963 badged bike SN.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 83
Even using a magnifying glass, I can't determine whether that first letter/number is supposed to be a "B" or an "8". The factory warranty replacement frame theory makes sense, but its just weird thinking didn't a fully equipped, modern American factory have a complete set of number/letter stamps handy? Or did they intentionally alter the SN of the frame? Guess we will never know for sure. couldn't find anything marked on the fork. One reason I was thinking it was later was that I thought 56-58,they used the Schwinn " Spitfire" headbadge? This one has a standard large Schwinn oval. Was I wrong? BTW, this was an interesting clean up. This bike had been VARNISHED. Yes, varnish applied with a brush. Apparently,it had stayed tacky for a long time, and attracted all sorts of airborne dust which became part of the dingy, cruddy finish when it finally dried. Huge pain to clean, but I'm pleased with the results. Thanks for the help!

Pretty unusual SN stamping. First off it looks like the first number/letter was struck twice. I can't make it out for sure. Take a close up pic and look for the striking details on your computer. Almost looks like two sideways o's in an attempt to make an 8. Second thing, that serial number was hand stamped. Spacing, size etc is not that of a factory production stamping. It for sure is not a 1960 bike or serial number no matter how you view it. Starting in 58 the serial started with a letter followed by 6 numbers. I'd take a guess and say that may have been a factory replacement frame or something of that nature. See if there is a year casting on the crank. Chainguard is a 54 and later and 59 had all new guards. Seat looks like a 58 issue.

FYI.... The 1955 models were ballooners, for 1956 the Spitfire was offered as a ballooner and a middleweight. For 57 and on the Spitfire was a middleweight. I can't say all, so I'll say some of the Spitfires of this time period had the bolt on kickstands.

This one is a middleweight with the built in kickstand.

I can't help you with figuring out the year, but just wanted to applaud your cleaning skills - that pic of the two fenders is priceless - I think you certainly got your $5 worth out of this barn find.

I can't help you with figuring out the year, but just wanted to applaud your cleaning skills - that pic of the two fenders is priceless - I think you certainly got your $5 worth out of this barn find.

Thank you! I really appreciate that. Most of the techniques I used came from tips I picked up on this site. I figured this bike was the perfect candidate for experimentation, so I will know what works when something more valuable comes along, and now the wife has a nice rider too. Everybody wins.Thanks!

Back