When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken off front chainguard tab

-

Blueschwinns

Look Ma, No Hands!
I purchased this early 1951 Black Phantom that is all original except it was missing the chainguard and rear rack. The fenders were included seperately with the front light all intact. I looked the bike over before handing over the cash and thought I saw all the good and bad. Yesterday when I unloaded it at home I noticed the front tab you bolt the chainguard to was totally missing. I was sick.

My question is, is this an easy fix for someone with welding skills? Have any of you done this or have advice on how to make a new tab and weld or braze it in place.

I now know why the chainguard was missing. Help Please!

Attachments

• DSCN0879.jpg
    DSCN0879.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0916.jpg
    DSCN0916.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN0917.jpg
    DSCN0917.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 150
tab

It isn't difficult, I just did one last week. I had a donor girls frame that I took the tab off of and welded it to the boys frame. There will be a small amount of paint loss, but given the color and location, it shouldn't be noticed.

find a good brazing person

He prob can hand make the tabs from steel stock.The rear is just a 10-32 tap hole!

im not sure but seem that was soldered on

Find a good tinner and let us know his #

Does anyone have a doner tab. I would pay $10.00 + shipping through paypal.

Thanks

I have a tab I think it's from a 1960 schwinn. If I ever scrap a bike I save those things. I can compare to my phantom to see if its the exact same. Still need one? $10 shipped sounds close enough if your in the US

Last edited:
Front guard tab

I have a tab I think it's from a 1960 schwinn. If I ever scrap a bike I save those things. I can compare to my phantom to see if its the exact same. Still need one? $10 shipped sounds close enough if your in the US

Yes I still need one let me know if its the same. I am in Indianapolis, IN

Yes I still need one let me know if its the same. I am in Indianapolis, IN
I tried sending a pm but it will not show in the sent file. ... Sorry for delay in checking out the tab I've been busy with work. I'll be at the shop tonight and check it out. If it's correct I'll get er packaged up tonight. Pm me your shipping address if you could

Back