When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed with year and Model ID

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ryanflathead45

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello all.

I have posted a couple pictures of this bike before. I have got a little bit of information, and have been doing lots of surfing. I'm not sure if this bike was pieced together long ago or what. I can see blue paint under the layers of dark paint that is on top. I can see a pin stripe on one wheel showing through the top coat of paint.

Any help would be great, I can provide more pictures or information if needed.
Thanks in Advance,
Ryan

100_1874_zpscee74bf7-1.jpg

100_1875_zpsf53e9b76-2.jpg

100_1876_zps8b8d87b5-2.jpg

100_1877_zpsf27dac0d-1.jpg

100_1878_zps9c16b29c-1.jpg

100_1882_zpsd7eac154-1.jpg

The unknown is G20553... DX, D-shaped post bolt, curved downtube, no tube for the rubber bumpers like my known '41 E53442.

Also have a '38(?) straightbar that is T54355, small type, well aligned. Or does the small type put it in '37?

Such a mess...maybe I'll just christen them what I want them to be, like Ochocinco lol.

The unknown is G20553... DX, D-shaped post bolt, curved downtube, no tube for the rubber bumpers like my known '41 E53442.

Also have a '38(?) straightbar that is T54355, small type, well aligned. Or does the small type put it in '37?

Such a mess...maybe I'll just christen them what I want them to be, like Ochocinco lol.
G is 41... E is 40... them bumpers came on a few years

Cool thx. Read somewhere that the bumper was 41 only... but you know what they say about what you read on the interwebs lol.

no such thing as only in the manufacturing world,i dont think it would help the bottom line of a company to throw usable parts away cause of yearly overlap,car companies had a lot of overlap,lots of a 1968 buick in the first half of the tear had 67 parts on it,now if they needed to throw parts out for tax inventory reduction thats a whole new kettle of fish,the loger im involved in the bicycle world,close seems real,and little if ant factual documentationwe all know about blatent things wrong,but nitpcing without documentation id hearsay,if someone will enlighten me how a bike can be considerd totally correct when a mfg uses mutiple vendors to supply the same part which may meet enginering spec but may be cosmetically diff,i spent alot of years in the mfg corporate world,there were numerous venders who could not supply us with say 600,000 parts a year,did we stop producing?not on your life,its fun builging bikes and guess time frames of when some thig was offerd,but there is just as much fun finding a one owner that doesnt always add up to the way it was suppose to be,just a short note ya should hear me when i rally ger goind LOL

I found a site with pre-war serial numbers which does show my bike being a 1940.

When is search for 1940 DX's they all have tanks and front fender lights. My bike does not have any holes in the fender, and does not have any place to attach the truss rods at the neck area.

I found a 1941 Schwinn catalog that shows a model D97X-1 that has no light, tank or chain guard. Did they have a similar model for 1940?

The reason is ask is a found a site with a girls bike that had the same chain guard as my bike. They said it was original to the bike, but was a dealer add on because the bike was a base model that did not come with a chain guard.

Prewar Schwinns

I'm no expert but I have done a lot of research on the older Schwinn bicycles and I have to concur with Spoker in the real world there is really no way you can get a true read on any of the old bikes in the condition that some of them (such as this one) is in I do know that some base models did not have a chain guard but there was always the accessories to be purchased I've seen old blk n wht pics of bike stores and those chain guards and the likes hanging for sale we just have to go on what we have and see at that moment. I myself have a Schwinn Packard from 41 (crank code cheat) and can't find anything on it so good luck to all those ole Schwinns before the big fire

Back