When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood wheel cleaner

-

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Have any Cabe members had good luck with any cleaner/solvent that will remove the dirt, grime, and other misc. crap off a vintage wood wheel nicely but will not disturb the original and delicate ink logos that are stamped on the wheels like "Lobdell" or "Fairbanks Boston"?? Thanks, Pete in Fitchburg

Last edited:
I find just plain old soap and warm water with a soft rag works well - keep in mind to wipe off the excess fairly quickly. It might take a few goes and it will be messy. If they are very dirty and not painted I also will use 000 steel wool with the water & soap. Also keep in mind the steel wool will take off any paint. If you have any remaining paint or pinstripes I would not use it. You might have to reapply some penetrating oil afterwards to bring back the luster and feed the wood ( remember they will be thirsty ). I also recommend a pint of beer for the applicator. I would NOT chance the steel wool around the Logo! If you have not done this before I would use a test rim in order to get your methodology down - Its all about the Zen...not kidding. Bet you have most likely already done this - since you know your stuff when it comes to vintage bikes!!!!

Last edited:
Back