When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom badge

-

Pantmaker

I live for the CABE
I recently got this custom badge made for a project bike I'm doing. I have seen several badges here on the Cabe from the same guy and always loved the beefy look of the various designs cut deeply into the brass. Compared to the others here mine comes off as very flat and with the logo and background both polished, the image is just about impossible to see. Im looking for some ideas to create some visual separation between the logo and background without painting it....i.e. matte vs polished etc. Also attached is a photo of the badge thickness compared to a US penny.
thickness.jpg
front.jpg

Maybe engine turn the background. Would look good on brass. Might be kind of a pain to do without hitting the details. You could also selectively patinate it—mask whatever part you'd want to keep bright and hit the rest with bottle patina, which is basically salt and acid with a little chemical for varying color. After, you an shoot it with clear. This is copper with a spray on the outside:

IMG_0830.jpg

making badges is fun

I have not tried painting my badges yet, but I have used a sharpie, and it seemed to work well. The negative shapes were really small though, instead of having large open areas.. I tend to have rough, dull brass where the acid has etched, and it is usually enough to see the artwork pretty well.

7994393910_375e216590_c.jpg

8056152782_69f43e7c7f_z.jpg

11230204705_f8c8ca02bb_z.jpg

8062101768_f1b250a802_z.jpg

This one was amazingly hard to do. I use a vinyl plotter, and have to hand weed all the details out. Some of the smallest work I have ever done.
11375795025_50e0583db4_b.jpg

8056152782_69f43e7c7f_z.jpg

7994393910_375e216590_c.jpg

11230204705_f8c8ca02bb_z.jpg

8062101768_f1b250a802_z.jpg

11375795025_50e0583db4_b.jpg

nice

I have not tried painting my badges yet, but I have used a sharpie, and it seemed to work well. The negative shapes were really small though, instead of having large open areas.. I tend to have rough, dull brass where the acid has etched, and it is usually enough to see the artwork pretty well.

View attachment 172711
View attachment 172710
View attachment 172712
View attachment 172713
This one was amazingly hard to do. I use a vinyl plotter, and have to hand weed all the details out. Some of the smallest work I have ever done.
View attachment 172714

Your stuff is really great and has the look and feel of what I was expecting for mine. It's the dull brass that I want in the background. That would solve my problem. How thick are your badges compared to mine? I wonder if I could mask off the polished logo on mine to protect it and hit the background with steel wool to rough it up.

it has been awhile

I am not sure the thickness I used. I think it was .015"
I am pretty sure it was thicker than yours. Good luck masking it off and roughing up the background. if you can mask it off cleanly, maybe hitting it lightly with a sandblaster will give you a uniform result??

Im looking for some ideas to create some visual separation between the logo and background without painting it....i.e. matte vs polished etc. View attachment 172697View attachment 172698

I'd go for a light/fine sand blasting to give you the matte finish in the background. For taping I'd use the vinyl fine line tape usually blue in color available in different widths (I use 3m). With 1/16 or 1/8 you should be able to make the corners on the raised area eliminating a lot of cutting. Vinyl also let's the sand "bounce" off protecting the polished surface and keeping a sharper line better than masking tape. My $.02

Last edited:
Thanks

I'd go for a light/fine sand blasting to give you the matte finish in the background. For taping I'd use the vinyl fine line tape usually blue in color available in different widths (I use 3m). With 1/16 or 1/8 you should be able to make the corners on the raised area eliminating a lot of cutting. Vinyl also let's the sand "bounce" off protecting the polished surface and keeping a sharper line better than masking tape. My $.02

Your two cents is right on the mark. I'm going to pursue something along these lines. Thanks a bunch. Great comments all around.

That is SWEET!

Edit: Forgot to ask what project that is going on. :D

Last edited:
Back