When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Serial Number Reference

-
1946 series Hxxxxx Ixxxxx Jxxxxx A0xxxx (small type face) Bxxxxx
Cxxxxx (low number)

Cxxxxx is probably a cusp number between 46 and 47. More on the 47 side.

1947 series Cxxxxx/Dxxxxx

1948 series Dxxxxx ect...

Identifying features:

Skinny drop outs (1946)
Razor edge fenders
Shortie rear fender(early 1946 rare)
light cover has deep rear screw hole
Raised or de bossed style AS clamp(rare)
Non scripted light lens
Tapered pencil kick stand
Canti frames have more of a hump to the top tube. (Early)
Straight bars ie "fat bars" have same dia bottom tubing. (This feature also was found on later years and is not solely indicative of a 1946)
Rack clamp is a one piece flat band aid shaped plate.
Rear top stay fender bracket is sometimes tubular on early frames. (I've only seen this on dx models). My 46 rear fender stay mount is taller and more boxy then late 40s 50s style.
Early 46 tanks have been seen with tapped brackets ie left over snap style prewar tanks.
Big outtie delta horn button and tank hole (prewar size).
Chain guard front frame mount tab is thinner with bigger hole.
Grips will be oval with one tail coming off N without double back crossover(late prewar style)
Rear chevron will be shorter on 46.
Drop center rims or sometimes Lobdell flat profile rims.
1946 bikes have been found with 1941 stamped dogleg cranks
skinny truss rods.
Springer pivot bolt rumored to be chrome on early 46?
Pivot clip was prewar style half clip.(early)
Springer fenders sported diamond and tombstone reinforcement tabs
Granted stuff got replaced or got carried over ie pencil stand.
Note; (A) serial started again in 51 but in regular larger print.
What I have gathered doing research and asking experts is that the I J and K serials would have been left over prewar BB shells and or frames that had already been stamped prior. A being the first true postwar serial. Hope this helps. Pm me if you have any further questions or would like to add something to the list. Thank you

Last edited:
I have a post war I frame. Here's a pic. Gary
Iserial04_zps5df0989d-1.jpg

are tandems also on the list?

Yes and no. The first year that I see any recordings for the Tandem is 1949...... 01/19 ------------------ T001000 ----- T001217 -(TDM)
The Tandem's SN always started with the T00 during the years the T&C was available and the number was stamped on the rear bottom bracket. I believe after the T&C was discontinued the numbers went to the standard SN recordings and were then stamped on the left rear dropout, and this was sometime in the early 60's. The last entry for the Tandems that I can see was 07/24/1950 ------------------ T002663 ----- T003035 -(TDM)

I believe the original source for the Schwinn serial number information listed in the OP is here:

Schwinn Date Codes

From there it links to these pages:

ID FACTS
1948 through 1952
1952 through 1969
1970 through 1982

Note on the original pages where it states "Copy and print this info at will, it`s FREE.
BUT If You Steal The HTML And Post It On A Web Page In ANY Format, It Is Illegal"

In that case it appears that the info in the OP's links was reposted without authorization or credit.

I would only trust the information from the original source, as copies (especially unauthorized ones) can introduce errors. For example the ORIGINAL 1970 through 1982 page it states: "NUMBERS ARE NOW LOCATED ON THE LOWER LEFT OF THE HEADTUBE (By The Schwinn Badge On The Front OF The Frame)", whereas on the COPIED 1970 through 1982 page it states "Serial #'s are now on the lower left of the headtube, by the Schinn badge on fromt of the frame". :(

Back