When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Covering decals before painting

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

squeedals

I live for the CABE
I'm trying to think of ways to cover decals on bike frames so paint won't stick to them. So far I thought of Vaseline or wax of some kind. Any other ideas?? Once the paint is dry I want to remove the paint/?stuff easily without hurting the decal to reveal hard to replace decals.

Don

Liquid masking, purchased online or at a hobby shop. So after painting, what would you do with the low areas and paint edges at the decals?

By the way, I would never use grease or Vaseline on something llke that. Your chances of paint flaws later are 99 to 1.

Last edited:
I just shoot on a coat of clear lacquer and then use masking tape. It has worked so far- old decals can be fragile.

Have you used Liquid Masking?

Yes. Liquid masking has been around for some time being used mostly in commercial painting, and now hobbies. I do agree with Andrew on shooting a coat or two of clear lacquer on the decals first. Depending on what the decal is, masking tape may take care of most situations. I repaint along with touching up paint on new and used commercial equipment at work and I definitely don't want grease, oil, wax, silicone or Vaseline anywhere near something that has been cleaned and ready for paint. There have been many times where I've had to reprep and repaint an item because of one or more of those substances.

I've used good ol' bearing grease and it worked fine, but have since heard Vaseline is an old-time painter's trick. Vaseline is petroleum too...will to try it next time.

from the googles:
http://www.sweetpickinsfurniture.com/2013/02/little-painting-trick-using-vaseline.html

I have a brush in my grease tub already. The bikes I do touch up (60's black sports) grease works great. And wipes right off to reveal the made in England and the clean headbadge when it's dry. I actually mask a some though but a quick dusting with paint if it needs more than black shoe polish is another story

It wasn't me I swear.

Last edited:
yes liquid mask has worked for along time,if you would rather use tape,3m has low stick,or just take regualr tape and stick it to your clothing a couple of times and it will be low stick,the tape will still mask but you have alot less chance of pulling the decal,shooting some kind of clear to seal it up is also a good idea,no 2 are alike,gotta go with what kind of shape the decal is in first

Used liquid masking and was not totally happy.Ok if there is not too much intricate masking.

alot of paint related issues take a fair amount of practice to aquire a good skill set,and sucsess and nonsucesses are most helpful when fully explained

Back