When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How hard is it to build a Whizzer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

squeedals

I live for the CABE
Been looking for a Whizzer and of course, prices and conditions are all over the board. Thought about getting a Phantom or a Road Master, one that needs a lot of work and using that as a base to build a Whizzer. I was thinking late 40's early 50's and buying a good period H motor and basically doing what a person did when buying the kits back than. Not sure about spoke thickness, cutting the rear fender and clearing the frame for the drive belt, but if I do all the work myself I should be able to build a nice bike from the ground up. I know we always run a the risk of putting more in than we'll ever get out, but sweet rides are running fro $2500 to $4500 and using parts that are period to the year (40's 50's) one could build a nice Whizzer.

Has anyone attempted it and what are the advantages/pitfalls??

Back in the day Whizzers ran .125 spokes. Modern Whizzers ran .100 or .105's, I had .080's and had no probs. Standard .067 spokes pretty narrow tho. I have wheel sets if you need them in .105's.

Back in the day Whizzers ran .125 spokes. Modern Whizzers ran .100 or .105's, I had .080's and had no probs. Standard .067 spokes pretty narrow tho. I have wheel sets if you need them in .105's.

Thanks Bri. Got to get a bike 1st. Looking at the Road Master a CABER has up.

Don

It's pretty easy to put one together as long as you have all the pieces.
I built mine out of parts, which allowed me to build one exactly as I wanted.
1D78E0BC705F4AB09D6A345EBD47D0FB_zpsgkvp-1.jpg

I am running .125 spokes in the rear wheel, but I have heard you can get away with the standard ones.
Personally, I wouldn't go below .105's.

It's pretty easy to put one together as long as you have all the pieces.
I built mine out of parts, which allowed me to build one exactly as I wanted.
1D78E0BC705F4AB09D6A345EBD47D0FB_zpsgkvp-1.jpg

I am running .125 spokes in the rear wheel, but I have heard you can get away with the standard ones.
Personally, I wouldn't go below .105's.

So how can you tell if the rear spokes are thick enough? What was standard on say a 47 Road Master?? And it looks like a cut out on the rear fender would do too. No biggie.

Don

So how can you tell if the rear spokes are thick enough? What was standard on say a 47 Road Master?? And it looks like a cut out on the rear fender would do too. No biggie.

Don

Standard spokes would probably be a bit narrow.
What I would do is ask around and try to find a coaster hub shell (thats the same make as you already have) made for the heavier gauge spokes, and ream the wheel to match. Then lace it up with some .105 or .120 gauge spokes.

Back