When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Rear Drum Brake freewheel questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

aasmitty757

Two Tired
I didn't want to continue stepping on Dave's thread with this issue, so I started a new one.

I have removed the cog on one brake but that was as far as I could get without a special tool or more knowledge.
The other brake I just cut the spokes out really close for removal.

No local "old" bike shops will touch these.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 12, 6 08 27 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 12, 6 08 27 PM.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Photo Oct 12, 6 09 04 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 12, 6 09 04 PM.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 122
Yes, requires a special tool for removal. I haven't dealt with these, so uncertain if any modern tool would fit or could be modified to fit. The Suntour 2 prong freewheel remover looks like the closest bet, but would almost certainly have to be modified. In order to remove a freewheel from a hub, you have to have the leverage of a intact wheel to pull on. So the unlaced one will be very difficult to remove the freewheel from. On the one where you've removed the outer geared piece of the freewheel, it would be theoretically possible to remove the pawls and then chock it in a vise (pawl gaps to vise jaws) for removal, but this risks damaging the remaining piece of the freewheel. The last-ditch thing (for the one no longer in a wheel) is to take an angle grinder and very carefully quarter the remaining freewheel piece. I'm not certain if the threads are the same as modern BMX style freewheels, but the 3 piece crank threads of the same era are compatible with modern BB units, so chances are decent.
Cheers, Geoff

Yes, requires a special tool for removal. I haven't dealt with these, so uncertain if any modern tool would fit or could be modified to fit. The Suntour 2 prong freewheel remover looks like the closest bet, but would almost certainly have to be modified. In order to remove a freewheel from a hub, you have to have the leverage of a intact wheel to pull on. So the unlaced one will be very difficult to remove the freewheel from. On the one where you've removed the outer geared piece of the freewheel, it would be theoretically possible to remove the pawls and then chock it in a vise (pawl gaps to vise jaws) for removal, but this risks damaging the remaining piece of the freewheel. The last-ditch thing (for the one no longer in a wheel) is to take an angle grinder and very carefully quarter the remaining freewheel piece. I'm not certain if the threads are the same as modern BMX style freewheels, but the 3 piece crank threads of the same era are compatible with modern BB units, so chances are decent.
Cheers, Geoff

Both are actually unlaced from the wheel, but the tolerance is so close, I can't get the spokes out of the hub.
Thank you for your advice, sounds like I need to find an old timer with the correct tool, and it still may be a difficult task.

I have never taken one apart but like most freewheels you need them to be laced so you can use the wheel as leverage like mentioned above. Same goes for removing standard cog off of a ND or morrow.

Back